Welcome to the GTOPerformance car club forum!

Moderators: Chronos_c4, GTOrange

BATOOH
Topic Author

Go the Gis

Mon 07 Nov, 2016 9:22 am

I’m just wondering how you other guys relate to motor racing categories with respect to liking the drivers or not. What I mean here is that I found that I never liked Michael Schumacher and he sort of killed off my interest in F1 for many years, almost a decade. Mika Hakinnen revived my interest for a while but Schuey had it all his own way in the early 2000’s. Along came Lewis Hammertime and I’m an avid fan now.. Vettel for all his skill could never keep me interested in F1, nor Ricciardo should Hamilton have ceased racing. And Rosberg- forget it. (Sidebar—Watched his father Keke Rosberg a few times in New Zealand- wow how old am I- I liked watching him too!)

Same with Ozzy Touring cars/Supercar V8’s. When Greg Murphy and Craig Baird and others were racing this category I wasn’t really Interested. Lowndesy and Frosty never did it for me so I didn’t really watch the overrated Bumper cars, although with the Jason Richards trophy being held up by the Gis I did like watching races with Richards in them. Now I’m really fixated on the Supercars, whether it’s the Gis or Scotty McLaughlin, I just egg them on something wicked. So I enjoyed the weekend’s racing at Puke. But Fabian Coulthard, forget it- just don’t like him. Weird never met them and have likes and dislikes. Human nature I guess. What are your likes and dislikes??

Anyway I was a course Marshall on Saturday at a club event and enjoyed just sitting in a paddock watching the guys do there damndest. It was great, no real damage to any cars, last run of the day changed the winner. Club racing is so rewarding – not just sitting in front of the TV all the time.

Gazza
Club Treasurer

Re: Go the Gis

Mon 07 Nov, 2016 11:41 am

I used to be a real hardcore Ford fan when it came to the V8s. Now I'm more into supporting certain drivers (it's hard to remain partisan when your driver changes makes!). Any kiwi taking a win is a good day for me, particularly McLaughlin, and I've always been a Lowndes fan. There are certain drivers that I have always loved to see fail, guys like Murphy, Tander, Skaife, Whincup (in other words, champions :lol: )

I haven't been interested in F1 since Senna died and they neutered the sport.
au naturel.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Mon 07 Nov, 2016 12:13 pm

Senna and Ratzenburger died same weekend. Bianchi died (this year or last?) when he hit the recovery vehicle during a yellow flag event...

magn1t

Mon 07 Nov, 2016 12:54 pm

Boring, boring , boring and boring.
Nothing worse than watching cars go round in circles.
The only exciting part is when there's a big crash.

Then there's all the wankers there who get all dressed up in their Ford gear or Holden gear.

The Holdens have a Holden engine..........well an LS.
The Fords use a Ford engine.

They all use the same gearbox, the same diff, have a tube chassis and imitation body panels which aren't even the same size as the originals, they run the same computer dynoed to make the same power, or at least they DID.

So it's nothing more than a marketing exercise.

Local street drags are OK for a couple of hours, only because I know the cars and know most of the owners.
Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Mon 07 Nov, 2016 1:05 pm

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion Steve. Personally I don't get that much of a kick out of circuit racing... and as I walked past a speedway Midget this morning, on my way into work, thinking how bound to a clay oval that race driver is, It reinforced my liking for a club car, all kinds of events all over the show, but hey I'm never going to tip it round Monaco!

Gazza
Club Treasurer

Mon 07 Nov, 2016 1:15 pm

I find drag racing to be incredibly boring and pointless, so there you go, different strokes for different folks.

I personally believe that Pukekohe is the worst race track in NZ, and it annoys me that the Supercars still go there. It's old, bumpy, dangerous and short. All four races on the weekend were won off the start. There was not a single change of leader after turn 3 of the first lap, which tells you that the format and/or track is probably unsuitable. Of course the use it because it's bumpy and dangerous, and crashes help the ratings. They should do 2 rounds in NZ: One at Hampton Downs and an enduro at Highlands Park.
au naturel.

magn1t

Mon 07 Nov, 2016 1:19 pm

Sure........there's a difference between taking part and watching others take part.

Once I even likened drag racing to sex.
Some do it, some prefer to watch others do it.

I'm not into going to the drags to watch because once I get there I keep telling myself I should be taking part but I like looking at the cars to see what's been done a bit differently............like when I went to the Wellington street race and saw my first ever Skyline GTR in real life.
The part I don't like (when taking part) is waiting in a queue for ages under the hot sun just for a few seconds of racing.
All just to get a little bit of paper for bragging rights.

I've done Manfield a few times, the best time I had was in my Zephyr, one warm up lap, a timed flying lap, then a cool down lap.
That way you limit any breakages and the related expenses.
The first time I put the GTO around Manfield, the hairpin was responsible for blowing the engine (probably failed mods) and the second time a year or so later I spun out and smashed the front bumper when it sank in the mud.
Last edited by magn1t on Mon 07 Nov, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Mon 07 Nov, 2016 2:12 pm

Gazza wrote:
I find drag racing to be incredibly boring and pointless, so there you go, different strokes for different folks.

I personally believe that Pukekohe is the worst race track in NZ, and it annoys me that the Supercars still go there. It's old, bumpy, dangerous and short. All four races on the weekend were won off the start. There was not a single change of leader after turn 3 of the first lap, which tells you that the format and/or track is probably unsuitable. Of course the use it because it's bumpy and dangerous, and crashes help the ratings. They should do 2 rounds in NZ: One at Hampton Downs and an enduro at Highlands Park.

-Have you got shares in Tony Quinns race industry business??!! But yes I do agree that Puke looks fuerked.
Last edited by BATOOH on Mon 07 Nov, 2016 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Mon 07 Nov, 2016 2:12 pm

at least you had a crack Steve...

Gazza
Club Treasurer

Mon 07 Nov, 2016 3:42 pm

BATOOH wrote:
-Have you got shares in Tony Quinns race industry business??!

Actually I think the man is an arsehole, he just owns best two tracks in the country. :lol:

The reality is that they're putting an emphasis on street circuits because they draw more attention, look faster (even though they are way slower) than real circuits and because there is more carnage for the ratings.
au naturel.