Welcome to the GTOPerformance car club forum!

Moderators: Chronos_c4, GTOrange

Ivant

Re: New engine precautions.

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 9:53 pm

magn1t wrote:
As far as "new engine precautions" goes.............It's the same a what the yanks refer to the 60K service.
What you tend to read about is you're supposed to replace the cambelt , waterpump, tensioner, idlers etc......BUT
It's all lies.
If you google the actual Mitsubishi 60K mile service instructions .....at the most you replace the cambelt. But there's lots of things to check.
All those extra parts were just cunjoured up by the new parts salesmen to make more money out of kids who don't know any better.
Here.

Straight from the owners manual.

http://cjbyron.com/build/servicescans.htm

No, the oil pump isn't on any of those lists.

I'm about to replace the timing belt on the dragons old 97 Legacy. I was going to buy the whole kit, idlers etc. Do you think that I should just buy a new belt and forget the rest?

box

Thu 21 Jul, 2016 9:56 pm

No. The replacement interval is just for the belt, that doesn't mean the rest of the components will last another 100,000 and that's where it gets a little bit dicey. The idlers and tensioner pulleys are easy enough to gauge the condition of, it's the other bits like tensioners (hydraulic and spring type) and water pumps that can just randomly decide to sh** the bed.

Pull it to bits and see what parts you need if you want to save a buck, you might get lucky and find it just needs a belt or you may find it needs the whole lot. If you're doing it yourself you can't go wrong, if you're paying for labour you may as well spend the extra and do the whole kit.

Ivant

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:41 am

box wrote:
No. The replacement interval is just for the belt, that doesn't mean the rest of the components will last another 100,000 and that's where it gets a little bit dicey. The idlers and tensioner pulleys are easy enough to gauge the condition of, it's the other bits like tensioners (hydraulic and spring type) and water pumps that can just randomly decide to sh** the bed.

Pull it to bits and see what parts you need if you want to save a buck, you might get lucky and find it just needs a belt or you may find it needs the whole lot. If you're doing it yourself you can't go wrong, if you're paying for labour you may as well spend the extra and do the whole kit.

It's pretty much just a runabout these days as she doesn't use it anymore, due to her getting a new Mazda3. But it's still a really good car in perfect condition, and I don't want it to just rot away in the back yard. So it's really just my runabout these days, that's due for a new belt. It's only just due, so I would imagine that it's going to be ok for a while. I mean a timing belt is good for a lot longer than 100.000ks, so I'm not too worried, and the 2.2L is the non interference motor, so no fear of valve damage if it breaks anyway. But I will change it at some stage, and just run around in it. Not worth selling, as it isn't worth selling. They only sell for $1500 no matter what condition they're in. Better to use it for years to come.

Matty
Topic Author

Fri 22 Jul, 2016 6:24 pm

Chronos_c4 wrote:
magn1t wrote:
Just read this again.........where do you get the $15K rebuild figure from?

That's about 3 times too much no matter what it is.

Someone saw you coming.

or matts passion for branded parts, im sure even he can admit that

leave him be ;)

all this while he could have just got another GTO haha

This. Exactly this. I'm a sucker for shiny parts :lol:

I feel a lot of the good brands and branded parts that the manufacture has done their research and development and makes for well performing and reliable parts. This is my opinion and my opinion only. No, I'm not getting into the whole "Stock is just fine" debate.

But please, please don't make me list the parts and prices :lol: :lol:
Thought it was time for a change...