Welcome to the GTOPerformance car club forum!

Moderators: Chronos_c4, GTOrange

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Winslow Willowby standing quarter.

Sat 29 Aug, 2020 8:10 pm

She was a hard day on the blacktop today. I went into this full of enthusiasm for a PB given the wee road test a couple of days ago and said to the wife the car feels vicious. But this was not the case. I also went to recover the trophy I got from here about 3 years ago when I ran a 12.4.  And I did.... More on this shortly.A 720hp Nissan and a souped up R35 put paid to that idea.

It started with a conservative 12.77 just to warm the gearbox and make sure none of the wheels fell off!. Didn't even bother looking at the time. 2nd run put some effort in..... WTF 12.88???. Well that wasn't howthis was sposed to playout. Ok on with the 2nd stanza. Harden up the arse end and keep the boost at 70%.... At this stage my memory is like the 3rd pass before the last. I think it was a lil better. 4th pass who knows. Ok ask the boys what they see off the start line. they said there was some smoke off the fronts and I had felt it walking but it all felt good. It was going in the right direction.

Ok off with the Dunlop wets cause I was sposed to be saving my track Tyres (r888r). Then a 12.4. I started short shifting after the 1st stanza too. There is something goin on here. Then 6th run was 12.184 or thereabouts IIRC). Ok at this stage the day is drawing closer and I wanted a good run. Anyway I got it in the form of a 12.000. well that wasn't easy to take given I had the 11.9 two + years ago. Ok the 11.9 was downhill I reckon  (away from the southern alps) and the 12 was toward the southern alps..

Then I got a shot at a rerun after the 6th cause nobody was lining up and I had some heat in them. But the run was done and not timed cause the Norwester had come up and blown the Fing timing gear over. So they turned me round again!! yes hot everything. but I spent 5 minutes on the start until I got the go and again it was a mis time. That was it for me I felt sorry for the boys back there and I pulled the pin.

So at Prizegiving I got 3rd with the dead 12. Top car was a32 I think with 10.3 and second was the R35 I believe at 10.5+. LOL after accepting the piece of card board for 3rd they turned me around and made me take the trophy as it was there for the fastest car club member!!! Hah HAH what a B of a day.! 

Was shorshifting at 6k. car was revving itself to death doing the 3 gear quarter. Bloody TD04'S. Results out tomorrow or Monday and I have some footage in various forms. Also today was the first time I beat a Tesla!!

box

Re: GTO Track Project-Here we go.

Sun 30 Aug, 2020 12:23 pm

Not a bad time for the mighty Mitsi Challenger. 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Tue 08 Sep, 2020 6:24 am

First trophy..JPG
[attachment=0]

Chronos_c4
Club President

Tue 15 Sep, 2020 7:16 pm

BATOOH wrote:
First trophy..JPG[attachment=0]

send the file to me via facebook and ill put it up
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Update.

Tue 22 Sep, 2020 8:14 pm

Brakes. Retrenched to left hand side master cyl and servo. However retained Adjustable prop valve... lowered by about 140mm in the cabin... So yeah we have brakes now, best they have ever been. Had to back off brake prop valve for minimum pressure to rear but still locking under maximum and close to max braking. had a rear caliper problem and this may be part of a bedding in problem on rear left. Did notice a flurry of bubbles that may have been associated to having the prop valve at or near Master reservoir height...(was advised by knowledgeable person that that wouldn't trap air). Got some events now to xmas so at xmas will reinstall the RHS master setup I removed. And try again for hard pedal.

Overheating. Finally got it. when I installed an 18psi/1.25 bar Coolant cap some years ago I replaced like for like overall depth from top of cap to bottom of seal. Turned out it was 3-5mm short and was barely seating and therefore not giving adequate pressure seal.... some events would blow coolant some didn't. Relieved to finally make a positive discovery.

Gearbox 6 speed. change from 5 to 6 over xmas and test this unknown box.

Turbo's. gonna take the easy upgrade option now and install HL 20T bolt ons. so this will equate to two major upgrades this year and one failed one!!! aiming at 500wheel hp for next Mays haybale race.

magn1t

Wed 23 Sep, 2020 11:43 pm

I've always liked giving an alternative point of view, based on nothing other than past personal experience.
Overall ,brakes are a bit like oil.
The more you pay, the better you get?

Ok, so when's the first time I played with brakes.
What would a car builder know about brakes when car enthusiasts are so much smarter?

Going back to my Z in , let's say 1979.
Transplant a 272, still the Z box but adaptor and a spacer in the driveshaft.
Higher gearing would be better?
Top is always 1 to 1 only the Austin Maxi has a 5 speed but what about overdrive? Laycock? Triumph, Rover , Jaguar?, well I did that, the jag but for some reason I also did the Falcon LSD, well or course 'cos spinning one rear wheel doesn't work so any LSD is better but 3.23 gives lower revs than 3.545 and fuel economy counts.
The big problem with a Falcon diff is that apart from being wider and needing to cut out the inner guards, the drums are bigger diameter and wider and when you stomp on the brakes,power assisted all round and discs on the front,  the back end locks up. Then you're in deep sh** 'cos you're out of control and have to lift the foot. It's not a good feeling when you're going too fast and not expecting it.

No doubt it's a downgrade which necessitates another forced upgrade, being a remote booster, boosting just the front. Well actually I already had the remote booster but boosting front and rear, that was because of the V8 the original wouldn't fit. All I had to do was re plumb it. Of course the firewall fractured where the master cylinder was mounted to, all due to the extra foot loading required.

That's one reason why my brakes are always OK and doing any mod to them is more likely to take me backwards rather than forwards.

The way the rules are these days, to get an old car back on the road again, you've got to have dual circuit brakes, a friend went through it recently, his had a 289 in it and had to fit a booster and  dual circuit master cylinder, again I think from a 'coon. Easy with a 289 being a low deck block, not easy with a 272 nor a 351C
Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Safety first!!

Thu 24 Sep, 2020 4:34 am

Yeah cars are safer and safer and there are less Mad Max machines around these days.... BUT.... in the last few years there have been three vehicle accidents down my road here within 1km of my place. Knowing what happened with these accidents I would predict 2 of the 3 being caused by cellphones. Quite probably the third (dual vehicle) was caused by cellphone as well but can't absolutely predict why a car on an unmarked sealed 100km/h road run into another vehicle exiting their driveway (rural property) at 8.30m (taking kids to school)....Distraction anyone???

COPS don't seem to worry about the cause too much unless it involves alcohol or something obvious. Now they (The Green Party) want us older and wiser folk to release cannabis soaked young drivers onto OUR roads. Not on your FN Nelly mate.

Patrick Gower reckons young Maori are being racially discriminated against because of the disproportionate number of Cannabis convictions against them. BOO HOO. Let's take the Smoking Gun away from them... well we have already haven't we!!! .....Just Love that PUN there!!  It Is Illegal to be caught with Cannabis in your possession or in your bloodstream. Just Like it's illegal to posess an automated Rifle. Long May this Continue. Get Rid of all Smoking Guns.... hahah what a beauty a double Pun!

Chronos_c4
Club President

Mon 05 Oct, 2020 3:05 pm

If you have a bigger resolution photo, send it. this one is tiny
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE

Ivant

Wed 07 Oct, 2020 11:25 am

You know the shape of these cars will never date. My 91 is coming up for thirty years old, but you'd never think so looking at it, and the comments I get about it when I'm out and about range from, what year is that Ferrari, to I've never seen one of those before, what is it? When I say it's a Mitsi people just go really. I can live with that. I guess there's just not that many of them around anymore.
I think I'm going to have to take it out a bit more as the tappet clatter is a bit of a pain at start-up when the top-end is a bit dry from not going much over the Winter period. Luckily it goes when it's thoroughly warmed up after about 10 mins or so.      

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sat 10 Oct, 2020 3:07 am

Ivant wrote:
You know the shape of these cars will never date. My 91 is coming up for thirty years old, but you'd never think so looking at it, and the comments I get about it when I'm out and about range from, what year is that Ferrari, to I've never seen one of those before, what is it? When I say it's a Mitsi people just go really. I can live with that. I guess there's just not that many of them around anymore.
I think I'm going to have to take it out a bit more as the tappet clatter is a bit of a pain at start-up when the top-end is a bit dry from not going much over the Winter period. Luckily it goes when it's thoroughly warmed up after about 10 mins or so.      

What Colour is your GTO Ivan? Also what type and weight of oil do you use?

Gazza
Club Treasurer

Sat 10 Oct, 2020 12:29 pm

Awesome seeing a GTO with some silverware!
au naturel.

Ivant

Sun 11 Oct, 2020 1:13 pm

BATOOH wrote:
Ivant wrote:

What Colour is your GTO Ivan? Also what type and weight of oil do you use?

Colour is red, and the type of oil is usually any make that's on special at super cheap or repco. Weight 10w40 semi-sym. 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Engine Block Identification.

Mon 07 Dec, 2020 3:10 pm

The story is that I bought a supposedly TT block that the young guy Ran Oil dry and run a bearing. he got the engine bored and ground after providing a reputable engine rebuilder with the bearings Pistons and rings. He then partly assembled the engine, 3 pistons in, and crank girdle bolted in. I was going to continue assembly myself but the guy that tunes my racer assembles engines across many makes all the time and has a great workshop. He said it won't take him long whereas I would be checking a double checking and attempting to measure stuff with only verniers so easy decision for me! Of course everything is there but thrusts and 8 conrod cap nuts. which is typical for a kid I spose. Anyway before I take the engine down to the builder I thought I better check a few things out. firstly is it a TT block?? well it has nothing attached that allows me to assume it was a Turbo. Oil squirters are covered up now as they are contained within the crank mains. So I only know one method of differentiating the TT to the NA and that is apparently the oil squirters.(even then I wouldn't be surprised if MITSI used these on the NA GTO and the non squirter blocks used on sh** front wheel drive etc GTO's in the states for example). So Steve or Box or anyone else got any pointers. If I get nothing I will leave dismantling to the builder so he can check everything for damage tolerance, proper assembly etc.cheers

BATOOH
Topic Author

Arashi Turbs

Mon 07 Dec, 2020 3:23 pm

Ordered the 20t HL 9 Blade model form Arashi and asked for 11 blade comp wheels. They Forked up and sent 6/6 wheels. I suggested they recover courier package and change. they said they would send covers and wheels at their cost and I could change (thinking it would just cost me a rebalance.. and a return courier fee. Anyway the covers and wheels turned up today but it was just CHRA assemblies without covers so now assume 6/6 and 11 blade wheels have same profile...??? we will see.

Initial impressions are that they are well built and they certainly spin nice when you blow on them. They spin nicer than my refurbished 15g's did. And one thing I found out after careful questioning. they are a different (thicker) Turbine housing and not a bored TD04 housing as the HLTurbine wheel is too large to bore into a standard housing. Thats nice to know. so they have the 3 bolt stock Manifold bolt pattern and should be a bolt on after clocking and shitting about with connections I guess.

Wont make alot more power than I got now because they need to be blowing 27/8psi on Racegas to really get some power going - according to the yanks. so thats next years upgrade. Racegas or whatever it is. may get some pics of the CHRA's on here if I can. later on/later too hot to do anything right now!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Fri 11 Dec, 2020 10:25 pm

DSC03237.JPG

box

Sat 12 Dec, 2020 10:49 am

I can't see the picture.

Is there a number cast into the turbine housing? 

It'll be interesting to see how far you can push those turbos. They look similar to the HL Kinugawa 20t which used to be available a few years ago, they didn't have turbine housings though and you had to bore your old housings to suit. They looked great with the shiny compressor housings and the huge shiny wastegate actuators, the small factory turbine housings let them down and they didn't perform any better than the other TD04 turbos on the market. 

The oil feed & drain lines bolted straight on, the steel coolant lines didn't really fit properly because of the oversized compressor housings but you could make them work. 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Mon 14 Dec, 2020 10:29 pm

box wrote:
I can't see the picture.

Is there a number cast into the turbine housing? 

It'll be interesting to see how far you can push those turbos. They look similar to the HL Kinugawa 20t which used to be available a few years ago, they didn't have turbine housings though and you had to bore your old housings to suit. They looked great with the shiny compressor housings and the huge shiny wastegate actuators, the small factory turbine housings let them down and they didn't perform any better than the other TD04 turbos on the market. 

The oil feed & drain lines bolted straight on, the steel coolant lines didn't really fit properly because of the oversized compressor housings but you could make them work. 

Nah I can never get the pics to work. Yes there is a large number cast onto the housing but no 6 or 7. I guess the 9 blade turbine wheel just allows the 6cm nozzle area to act like it's 7CM. I'm hoping I can get it up to 450 fly HP. Thats on 100RON at around 21Psi. Denis Beck in USA has his running pretty good but he's dual fuel. His PB  is 10.77 at 138MPH at 27 Psi.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: New Years Present.

Sat 02 Jan, 2021 1:04 pm

Just done a compression test. Hot. all between 162 and 171. Gauge must read high as I thought they should be between 150-160. Anyway have been blowing coolant at higher boost on the track. Alright if your driving Miss Daisy but as soon as you floor it the gauge goes over 190F and up to 220. Makes a chuffing sound when idling once per cambelt revolution. was smoking behind alternator bracket round end of exh manifold so thought had lifted head. Bubbles in the coolant filler neck when hot but not when cold.

anyway here's the part that really pisses me off. When I got this engine/car in 2011 it didn't run and I replaced the rear head and no.4? piston. cause of foreign object damage. And I've had a sneaking suspicion over the last few years... as too why the engine won't come up with more power on the dyno. Suspected the head I put on wasn't TT. Well it isn't. I've been running a hybrid head combo for all these years. I know way back then I insisted it must be a TT head. I took it for granted nobody would deceive me. But they did. quite clearly the dividers are different as we all now know.

anybody got a  good Rear TT head?

Ivant

Sun 03 Jan, 2021 9:54 am

I would say Magn1t would be your best bet getting some T/T heads. He doesn't seem to be on here anymore. What that's about I'm unsure?
Maybe you can reach out to him personally through this site? If not I think I have his contact details somewhere? as I had him do some work for me a few years back. I will do a search if need be, otherwise good luck on here.
Ivan 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sun 03 Jan, 2021 10:21 am

Yeah Thanks Ivan would you dig his contacts up. I been wondering about him as to whether he had bad health or something. I would like to contact him.

box

Sun 03 Jan, 2021 10:59 am

He's floating around on 3si these days, I figured he just wasnt here because no one else is. 

That engine of yours has done well to hold itself together for this long. It was stuck together with Chinese head gaskets, right? 

Ivant

Sun 03 Jan, 2021 11:29 am

I private messaged him to see if he has the items you need. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see if he's interested or not, and contact me about it.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sun 03 Jan, 2021 9:23 pm

box wrote:
He's floating around on 3si these days, I figured he just wasnt here because no one else is. 

That engine of yours has done well to hold itself together for this long. It was stuck together with Chinese head gaskets, right? 

Yes Initially!! I bought them for $60 off trademe and a guy dropped them off to me and said I was lucky.... Well I was not!! They leaked like sieves and I couldn't believe how they corroded so quickly. It was like Battery acid had eaten them away in weeks! So I bought Permaseal from BNT and they are still on it. I have some ACL composites there but I don't think I will use them. Once I get  a proper rear head I will replace with MLS. I have been worried about the nick in the bore of No.4 for all these years too. This was caused by the washer the guy dropped into it before starting it up. I thought the nick might create a hotspot and cause Det or localised Coolant boiling. I came across a bored TT block and O/S pistons etc recently... which was half arsed assembled by this guy who had had GTO problems (more too it than that). so a steal for $100 if it all goes together nicely. I am going to get Neville to do that for me cause he's got all the measuring equipment and experience. So I should have a spare short block soon enough. I hope.
Checked head bolts today and all good. I will not tear it apart until I get a replacement and I hope the next few events are low speed ones. It's a big annoyance cause Ive got the 6 speed to go in and those Arashi Turbos too. 
Yes when I look back at what I've been through  with this engine it's amazing.

box

Mon 04 Jan, 2021 10:58 am

When you checked the bolts, did you mark their position, crack them off first and then re-torque them? Even the "loose" ones tend to be frozen in place.