Welcome to the GTOPerformance car club forum!

Moderators: Chronos_c4, GTOrange

 
magn1t
Topic Author
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Upsetting the ricers on youtube 1magnit

Facebook

Wed 20 Feb, 2019 7:09 pm

A new low.......what a joke.........it's got to be said.

Children asking technical questions.
Answered by other children who've got absolutely no fecking idea.


Well there you go.
Just as well I'm not a member.


The answers are all on the forum if you could be bothered looking....the right answers.


Not total bullshit like........maybe your crank is bent.
Children should be taught when to listen and not talk?

Warped rotors?
No, they don't warp.


The only good thing is that it all disappears off the bottom.
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!
 
BATOOH
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Facebook

Thu 21 Feb, 2019 7:08 pm

Yeah I agree, Incredible.. They are still quickly destroying the GTO population in NZ!
 
User avatar
box
Posts: 2894
Joined: Sun 02 May, 2010 7:07 pm

Re: Facebook

Fri 22 Feb, 2019 8:14 pm

magn1t wrote:
The only good thing is that it all disappears off the bottom.

Don't ever change, Steve  [like]
Image
 
User avatar
Chronos_c4
Club President
Posts: 4716
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Feilding
Contact:

Re: Facebook

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 4:09 pm

There's not much we can do about it unfortunately.
 
Lets not forget why you 'left' Steve, not because you were taking a moral high ground, you were booted because you were being unnecessarily cunty to people.
Regardless of where you were doing it (here or the FB page), deliberately being hostile to people wasn't what being part of any group should be about. You're not a 5 year old at primary school or angry teenager, you should know better. 
Telling people what they need to hear is a hard fact, but that's not what you were doing.
Your ban was lifted 18+months ago so the choice is back with you. Clearly you are still looking at the page......
 
There's definitely only one issue to address here:
How do you get people to use the forum more? 
 
As said, the answers to most tech questions are already here on the forum.
How do the American forums deal with this phenomenon?
 
If anyone has any tangible and realistic suggestions to make this whole thing better, then please I'm willing to help make it happen.
Most of us hard-core members have been here since the beginning and have witnessed exactly what Steve is talking about. 
Closing the Facebook page isn't going to solve much, because some monkey is just going to start their own page and have it go un-checked.
I'm surprised a second page hasn't already happened to be honest.
Sitting in our armchairs complaining about it isn’t going to fix it either.
 
I can’t stop the generational migration to social media, that's the way the world has gone.
The youth of today want all the information at their fingertips in seconds, regardless whether it’s correct or not. Thankfully some of the senior members can review what advice is being given and can step in where needed.

Lord forbid people go to a mechanic or OEM and ask them….
 
Facebook is just the tool that makes it easy, I'm assuming the youth don't see the point of going to a different page and having to search for themselves.
“Why use the forum when you can just ask random unqualified people for an answer?”
The forum has now entered its 9th year under the current banner, with the content from my very first post back in 2008 still accessible (previous forum).
So clearly the resource section and bulk of the forum is still serving a purpose to those who use it.
The link to the forum has been at the top of the FB page since the start, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make them drink.

Plus don't forget that most of the inquiries on the FB are more about keeping their cars running, "whats that noise" or "what does that dash light mean". General GTO-specific questions that just aren't common knowledge unless you've experienced it.
I can't see any serious people modifying their cars asking any questions on the FB page. "what duty cycle do i need" just doesn't happen because anyone that serious will just get the correct answer from the professionals.


magn1t wrote:
The only good thing is that it all disappears off the bottom.

And yes, that seems to be our saving grace here
Although the search function within FB page is perfectly functional......

 
The only thing I think we can do:
If a technical topic is brought up, that has already been solved on the forum, the only thing we can do is post a link to the solution on the forum and lock the comments post.
But that has a nasty smell to it, not giving people free speech? People will soon lose interest and not look to the club for help, or resent the seniors for not being tolerant or be willing to help people reach a conclusion in their own way. “How dare you have a different opinion than me”, “I did it this way and my car hasn’t blown up”……(yet) followed by "oh i learnt i was wrong because it did blow up"
Unfortunately most people don’t have the foresight and mechanic aptitude to realise how their car works and the implications of running a stock engine/turbos on 20PSI, because ‘old mate did it and his is ok”.
I'm sure the likes of Steve have seen the GTO platform transform from brand new, to technically minded adults, to young adults with some money, to teenagers with no money/clue.
 
This is the way it is.
We aren’t the only forum to suffer the same fate -  we are doing a lot better than the likes of ToySpeed or mmc.org.nz
Either way I'm still going to keep raising funds and keep this forum going for as long as I can. It was a big part of my adulthood and saved my bacon a few times.
As the rotation of young drivers weed out the GTOs that are falling apart, hopefully we will be left with people that just want their cars to live on and will come back to the forum.
  
 By no means am I waving my admin stick around, but we just need to be realistic with what 2019 means for the internet and the way information is found/kept/sought.
Image
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE
 
BATOOH
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Facebook

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 8:10 pm

Chronos_c4 wrote:
There's not much we can do about it unfortunately.
 
There's definitely only one issue to address here:
How do you get people to use the forum more? 
 
If anyone has any tangible and realistic suggestions to make this whole thing better, then please I'm willing to help make it happen.

Yes One thing and only One thing springs to mind... The demise of this forum was bought about by the withdrawal of Photoshop (I think it was called). I know you say it's easy to post Pics up but actually to a user like me- no it isn't. Is there nothing that can be done about this???? It's not just me either Lyle, there have been plenty of others unable to overcome this issue.
In Fact when I finally end up with a DYNO sheet I was going to mail it to you to post!
 
magn1t
Topic Author
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Upsetting the ricers on youtube 1magnit

Re: Facebook

Mon 25 Feb, 2019 11:13 pm

It's progress.....the general dumbing down of the overall population.

There isn't an answer because it's fakebook.


Tech questions.......everything breaks for a reason.
If you keep on playing with fire, you're going to get burnt.
I must be over qualified for fakebook, hence my "cunty" reponses?
The older you get, the less tolerence you have for stupid people, as you will all learn as you get older?
Gto owner since 1999, only owner in NZ?....most experienced here?
But also still got the first car I ever bought in 1977....hahahahahah.
Kids love to argue with me just for the sake of it..........does that make it cunty?
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!
 
User avatar
Chronos_c4
Club President
Posts: 4716
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Feilding
Contact:

Re: Facebook

Tue 26 Feb, 2019 5:54 pm

BATOOH wrote:
Chronos_c4 wrote:
There's not much we can do about it unfortunately.
 
There's definitely only one issue to address here:
How do you get people to use the forum more? 
 
If anyone has any tangible and realistic suggestions to make this whole thing better, then please I'm willing to help make it happen.

Yes One thing and only One thing springs to mind... The demise of this forum was bought about by the withdrawal of Photoshop (I think it was called). I know you say it's easy to post Pics up but actually to a user like me- no it isn't. Is there nothing that can be done about this???? It's not just me either Lyle, there have been plenty of others unable to overcome this issue.
In Fact when I finally end up with a DYNO sheet I was going to mail it to you to post!

I hear ya mate, i just had a go at the Forum image functions and its not doing what its supposed to.
I think you may be thinking of PhotoBucket? a place to drag and drop files and post to forums. There are plenty of image hosting places out there, www.iforce.co.nz still seems to be working (occasionally), but you're right, its not user friendly enough for people such as yourself.
Ill hit up the site admin and see what he can do. The sad answer might be -nothing-, sadly i dont have any control over what the forum can/cant do but will ask the question
Image
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE
 
User avatar
Chronos_c4
Club President
Posts: 4716
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Feilding
Contact:

Re: Facebook

Tue 26 Feb, 2019 6:16 pm

magn1t wrote:
It's progress.....the general dumbing down of the overall population.

There isn't an answer because it's fakebook.


Tech questions.......everything breaks for a reason.
If you keep on playing with fire, you're going to get burnt.
I must be over qualified for fakebook, hence my "cunty" reponses?
The older you get, the less tolerence you have for stupid people, as you will all learn as you get older?
Gto owner since 1999, only owner in NZ?....most experienced here?
But also still got the first car I ever bought in 1977....hahahahahah.
Kids love to argue with me just for the sake of it..........does that make it cunty?

There seems to have been an exodus from the forum around 2-3 years ago.....yet the facebook page has been operating since 2010. So yes, it is just general migration....
And yes its quite clear to the smart people that everything is due to cause+effect. Problem is it takes time for people to become smart enough to figure it out, surely you have children that you went through this with?

No no, your cunty responses were the ones where you would just attack people for no reason, like the dude from NZ Performance Car who hadn't asked anything silly and yet you just had a go at him because of where he worked. That was the last straw. At that stage the only thing killing the group was you. Of course its healthy to stop mis-information and help people realise that maybe they cant afford to keep their cars alive, but there's a line that was crossed there, no wonder the kids try and argue with you.

Oh believe me tolerance is a virtue, i can see exactly the same 'stupid' people that you do, you might even see me as one of those stupid people but it always comes down to inter-personal skills which you clearly lack or have just chosen to ignore - perhaps another age thing?

Experience is different to wisdom. I would have thought given your age/history you would be trying to productively pass on knowledge instead of being so blunt with people who dont know the same as you. 

Right thats enough, not what we are meant to be discussing here.

The forum will naturally die a slow death but im still going to check it every morning and encourage people to use it. Hell, its still costing me to keep it up and ill keep it up as long as i can. Us die-hard members still use it.
Image
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE
 
BATOOH
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Facebook

Tue 26 Feb, 2019 8:15 pm

Chronos_c4 wrote:
The forum will naturally die a slow death but im still going to check it every morning and encourage people to use it. Hell, its still costing me to keep it up and ill keep it up as long as i can. Us die-hard members still use it.

well mate if thats the truth, then you would probably be better off charging every member/user $20pa and I bet you will not regret that in no time at all... and it might stop the spammers! 

Just do it.
 
magn1t
Topic Author
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Upsetting the ricers on youtube 1magnit

Re: Facebook

Wed 27 Feb, 2019 6:10 pm

Chronos_c4 wrote:


 
Experience is different to wisdom. I would have thought given your age/history you would be trying to productively pass on knowledge instead of being so blunt with people who dont know the same as you. 



It's a bit like when someone asks about gaskets?
Which ones do you need to buy?
The truth of the matter is that they're ALL reusable so long as you don't destroy them when you pull things apart.
So , no you don't  have to buy new ones.
However it's always best to have a complete set at home for the "just in case" situations.
Of course Mitsubishi will tell you otherwise, as will those who sell such parts to make a living but that doesn't change any facts......which leads to the next problem. Never take any advice from people who sell car parts for a living. Same goes for inexperienced mechanics who work on cars.
There's also a right and a wrong way to reuse parts.
If you reuse parts wrongly they'll fail, do it properly, they won't.
So when someone asks, the correct reply is .........no, you don't need to buy new ones.
Now anyone who want's to argue that one, I'll be blunt......it's a fact not an opinion.
But children will always want to argue...........because I've been doing my research on a car forum for the last 6 months and all the experts there say so  ???????
That's a good example of me passing on knowledge and getting abused for it.
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!
 
BATOOH
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Facebook

Wed 27 Feb, 2019 6:26 pm

magn1t wrote:
It's a bit like when someone asks about gaskets?
Which ones do you need to buy?
The truth of the matter is that they're ALL reusable so long as you don't destroy them when you pull things apart.
So , no you don't  have to buy new ones.
However it's always best to have a complete set at home for the "just in case" situations.
Of course Mitsubishi will tell you otherwise, as will those who sell such parts to make a living but that doesn't change any facts......which leads to the next problem. Never take any advice from people who sell car parts for a living. Same goes for inexperienced mechanics who work on cars.
There's also a right and a wrong way to reuse parts.
If you reuse parts wrongly they'll fail, do it properly, they won't.
So when someone asks, the correct reply is .........no, you don't need to buy new ones.
Now anyone who want's to argue that one, I'll be blunt......it's a fact not an opinion.
But children will always want to argue...........because I've been doing my research on a car forum for the last 6 months and all the experts there say so  ???????
That's a good example of me passing on knowledge and getting abused for it.

I'm Interested. so How do you reuse head gaskets? I have the OEM ones still sitting here with two new permaseal ones still in their wrap. I would have used the Permaseal based upon the old tradition that you put new gaskets on when doing heads. Whats the trick>?
 
magn1t
Topic Author
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Upsetting the ricers on youtube 1magnit

Re: Facebook

Wed 27 Feb, 2019 8:32 pm

I was going to jump on here and do a quick edit before getting a reply. 
Most car forums are financed by sponsorship, the sponsors are usually parts suppliers and parts changers.
So automatically you're going to get "fake news" and suppression of the truth.......to most kids though it must be me the one that's nuts but kids usually figure it out when they grow up a bit...........my own kids included. Most kids in their 20s and early 30s, they've got the mindset where they think they know far more than their parents, which is never true.....as far as the fake news goes.....the worst perpetrators are car magazines because they only survive through advertising........they're aimed directly at kids....that seems to be where a lot of kids get their shitty attitude and ideas from.


As far as reusing headgaskets goes.....First of all you jump onto google and search for reusing MLS head gaskets..........lots of information out there.
Good example here.
https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/show ... ?t=1543218
If you don't have any confidence in your own workmanship you shouldn't be playing with it.


Another one
https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.p ... &showall=1

another
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum ... 924/page1/
The world is full of clueless people?


Then you look at the problem from a slightly different point of view.
The industry standard (yes, I've spent a few years doing engine reconditioning too as a career change) with most head gasket jobs is that you always use new head gaskets and often new bolts too.....but neither are required.
Most car mechanics (parts changers) just rip it apart, fit new bits,.........it's done......they didn't know much to start with and won't ever learn anything new.
Pulling apart a "project engine"....it's the same as building one, only in reverse....need to measure everything as it comes apart...........that's if you're interested in learning.....if you're NOT, then just rip it apart with a rattle gun.You'll stay dumb.


Most overheating problems with modern cars start off as a slow headgasket leak and progressively get worse. The first sign is often the need for topping up the expansion bottle, second sign a slight overheat, third sign a popped hose and 4th sign the radiator top tank explodes....It never used to be a problem as much with cast iron heads and cast iron blocks, aluminium is a different story, it's a lot softer than cast iron. Headbolts always lose tension over time and heating / cooling cycles.It's NOT the bolts, it's the soft aluminium that the heads are made from. The easy fix is to retorque the heads. No gaskets required. Free.
OK so wow would you know?
Clean the bolt head, put a paint mark on it facing the front, crack it loose, retorque to spec and take note of where the paint mark ends up.
Alternatively use a pointer type torque wrench and turn the bolt back to the original position after cracking loose and take note of the required torque.
Better still do it both ways.
Some bolts are stuck and dry so need to be removed and oiled, refitted.
If the headgasket is leaking I can guarantee 100% that at least one bolt is loose.
If you don't catch it early , it'll cook a few times, that'll make it smoke after you destroy the valve stem seals....that's the only thing that makes them fail.........remember everything fails for a reason.
I've stripped lots of engines prior to machining and rebuilding, I used to ask what was wrong before stripping, later on I just used the reverse build method to work out what was going to be wrong before I found the problem.
I've even rebuilt a Ford V8 that had a broken head bolt and coolant leaking from the gasket into the lifter chamber.....that's ALL it takes, just one bolt.



To go to the next step, if you do decide to take off heads and change gaskets ....will you see any damage to the gasket? well 9 times out of 10, no you won't see anything....because the gasket was never faulty.......maybe it's a crap car like a Mondeo  or similar, often they don't get changed until they blow a hole between cylinders.....that only happens AFTER the bolts go loose.
Ok, so you've got spare gaskets. ....All gaskets need sealer (new headgaskets have an invisible coating) The old fashioned stuff was shellac, alcohol based and fuel resistant. RTV is the modern substitute, it's all the same stuff, different labels , different colours but it's all essentially the same.You just want a light coat both sides, put together to squeeze out excess, pull apart to remove excess....assemble. Even the composite head gaskets are reusable so long as you don't leave lots of the gasket behind on the block or head.


Part suppliers don't want anyone to know........it's bad for business.
As for mechanics, most are just parts changers and that's all they'll ever be.....but it's still bad for business.
Car magazines....???, they're only for entertainment, nothing else.
Do I have a thing against car magazines?
Well yes, they're the true car enthusiasts worst enemy.Scamming you into thinking you need crap quality aftermarket parts which WILL destroy your engine.
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!
 
User avatar
Chronos_c4
Club President
Posts: 4716
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Feilding
Contact:

Re: Facebook

Tue 12 Mar, 2019 9:06 pm

BATOOH wrote:
Chronos_c4 wrote:
There's not much we can do about it unfortunately.
 
There's definitely only one issue to address here:
How do you get people to use the forum more? 
 
If anyone has any tangible and realistic suggestions to make this whole thing better, then please I'm willing to help make it happen.

Yes One thing and only One thing springs to mind... The demise of this forum was bought about by the withdrawal of Photoshop (I think it was called). I know you say it's easy to post Pics up but actually to a user like me- no it isn't. Is there nothing that can be done about this???? It's not just me either Lyle, there have been plenty of others unable to overcome this issue.
In Fact when I finally end up with a DYNO sheet I was going to mail it to you to post!

Hey mate, the admin has installed an add on to the forum for photos etc, 
You can add them through the attachment function when you reply to a post. Maximum file size is 5mb, have a play
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE
 
BATOOH
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Facebook

Wed 13 Mar, 2019 7:00 am

Good work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 
BATOOH
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Facebook

Wed 13 Mar, 2019 7:20 am

Cheers Lyle it worked first time..

On the subject of making the GTO great again.....!!!      "Mitsubishi's engineer's concentrated on designing a world beater". Quoting that VID on FB the other day. Well it never hit the mark did it. 

It was too heavy. Unless you were driving autobahns or crossing America constantly.
It became unreliable. Capacitors let it down.
It became underpowered almost immediately and thats why we all seek more power for our GTO's.
It never really delivered a satisfying driving experience did it. You know when you get out of a car that drives really good, you tend to smile eh!.
 
User avatar
Gazza
Club Treasurer
Posts: 5251
Joined: Thu 14 Feb, 2008 9:31 am
Location: Adelaide
Contact:

Re: Facebook

Wed 13 Mar, 2019 2:07 pm

No car has ever given me a more satisfying driving experience than a GTO.  Even the overall ownership experience has been great for me.
Image
au naturel.
 
BATOOH
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Facebook

Thu 14 Mar, 2019 6:44 am

Gazza wrote:
No car has ever given me a more satisfying driving experience than a GTO.  Even the overall ownership experience has been great for me.

Good on you for finding your best ride. I spose I better explain myself. When I first drove my TT (which I bought - it was absolutely stock) I couldn't understand why there was so much body roll, Hitting the brakes at 120km/h was a wobbly jellified non event, it felt heavy on the road etc. The thickly spoked OEM steering wheel with the audio controls was a major put off, there were precious few places where you could put your fingers when spinning it - obviously designed for little japanese hands! How I hate that wheel. I remember it felt a bit wooden to drive, like no feedback, scares you a bit when cornering briskly. But I bought it regardless of the fact that the clutch was on it's way. And proceeded to remedy all these ills, just like most other TT owners!!
 
magn1t
Topic Author
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Upsetting the ricers on youtube 1magnit

Re: Facebook

Thu 14 Mar, 2019 7:44 pm

BATOOH wrote:


It became unreliable. Capacitors let it down.

It's not a mitsubishi problem, it's not a GTO problem.
Put my "grumpy" hat back on
It's a capacitor problem.
They fail in everything that they're put into........partly due to incorrect design, partly on purpose in order to sell more widgets.
Sticking with cars.......the ECUs fail due to capacitors leaking......As do the TCU (auto trans), then the aircon / heater display, then maybe the ECS..........comparatively they do really well. They'll be problem free for at least 7 years, seen a failed TCU at 15 years and both my heater displays in both cars failed by 28 years.
If you drove a Toyota, they get failed ECUs too for the same reasons, Mazda too, in fact ALL major brands who still use electrolytic capacitors.
Nissans.......sentras, primeras,skylines,  seen a lot of electric window modules fail for the same reason.
Now if you were to look at consumer electronics, your typical DVD player will fail when just out of warranty....same reason, LCD monitor....same, laptop PC.....same....it's everything.....but consumer electronics will have a far shorter lifespan than any car electronics.....so it's just a bit unrealistic to say they became unreliable.....it's really a maintenance issue, so long as you know......preventative maintenance
About 35 years ago some telecomms manufacturers were using tantalum capacitors instead of electrolytics, that's to eliminate a then(and still now)known problem. Unfortunately tantalum capacitors like to catch fire when they fail....Don't see them any more?



I only came back on here to mention that" the attachment has been removed".



So anyway...same crap comes up on FB all the time........it's either running rough or it's dead.
Kids seem to think that changing capacitors fixes the above problems.
What happens is 3 different things, the capacitor starts leaking, the conductive electrolyte spills onto the circuit board, some of it evaporates, some causes a high resistance short circuit.The internal resistance of the capacitor increases so it doesn't work as well, it gets hotter and leaks more.By the time the car dies, at least one circuit board track will be open circuit....changing capacitors doesn't fix it. If it's still working, if you don't clean the board first, it'll fail soon.
If it's a TCU , they always seem to fail in the same way, they're NOT repairable due to the 5 volt regulator (capacitor) failing in a way where it outputs 12V and kills the processor.
So......I sent it away, they changed the caps...it must be good now?
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!
 
BATOOH
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Facebook

Thu 14 Mar, 2019 8:39 pm

I only came back on here to mention that" the attachment has been removed".

You are right.

Lyle always said there was nothing that could be done....for many years.

Then It got done. quickly. In two weeks.

Then It reverted. withing two days!

Who is the mysterious manipulator that controls [Lyle]. That is the question.

TBC..
 
BATOOH
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Facebook

Thu 14 Mar, 2019 8:43 pm

Trying again to attach in reply....
Bubbles and Oysters.jpg
oh bugger it worked this time. Sorry Lyle I must have dotted the wrong button. Nah It's Intermittent. Caps on the way out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
 
User avatar
Chronos_c4
Club President
Posts: 4716
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Feilding
Contact:

Re: Facebook

Thu 14 Mar, 2019 8:48 pm

as highly as you might think i sit, im only just the guy who can delete posts and put out fires.
the almighty is the owner of the site and the owner of the forum coding, which isnt me.

to be honest the problem didnt seem to be the functionality, more that the alternate method of hosting on a 3rd party site just wasnt feasible anymore.
not to worry, its all sorted now
Image
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE
 
BATOOH
Posts: 893
Joined: Fri 01 Apr, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Facebook

Thu 14 Mar, 2019 9:25 pm

FB probs today must be something connected to that.
 
magn1t
Topic Author
Posts: 2883
Joined: Mon 04 Feb, 2008 1:15 pm
Location: Upsetting the ricers on youtube 1magnit

Re: Facebook

Fri 26 Apr, 2019 8:13 pm

Now we've got kids going on about "cambelts", "hydraulic tensioners" and 'harmonic balancers".


Lets face it...when you start a new job you usually learn the proper terminology for the things that you're working with. It's just a part of being "professional"
Even if it's just a hobby it always pays to learn the correct terminology just so you don't appear to be some sort of dumb cnut.
In this case it's just kids and they're pretty much ALL dumb cnuts.

A "cambelt"...that's easy.....they don't stretch, they're NOT rubber bands...more on that later.

"Hydraulic tensioners"....you only find those in conjunction with timing chains.They require engine oil pressure to do the tensioning, they have a built in ratchet system so they don't come loose, they automatically retension as the chain wears.
Our engines don't use hydraulic tensioners.....the correct term as in the manual is an "auto tensioner".    The tensioning is done with a spring.There's a fluid in there to do dampening, that's all it does.

"Harmonic balancers".....If you've owned a Ford or Chev V8 or similar, they use those things, it's for when the engine is externally balanced, there's an offset weight in the flywheel for balancing and there's also an offset weight in the front pulley for balancing.
The rubber mounted weight is the harmonic part of it, it's a harmonic damper in that it damps the harmonic vibrations of the twisting of the crank, one end will always twist with respect to the other end.....with our engines being internally balanced we don't have a balancer on the front of the crank or on the flywheel, just a harmonic damper.
Ok, so these "harmonic dampers" fail when they get old?.........well no they don't....they fail when you over tension the belt.......or to put it slightly differently........if the belt is loose, it'll slip, if the belt is too tight, the rubber mounted ring will fail....not IF but WHEN....so when you read on a yank forum that these things are sh**.....it's just that the belt was too tight for too long.


So how about "solid cambelt tensioners"?
The belt is at it's loosest when the engine is cold........if it's too loose then the belt will jump and you loose the timing adjustment.
As the engine warms up the engine gets bigger and the belt tightens.
If the belt is too tight then something will break, probably the bearings in the water pump but maybe another part fails first.
The purpose of the tensioner is to let out the slack when the engine gets hot.
Hot, hot, hot is when you're on the racetrack on about the 6th lap and you're telling yourself....wow, the car is going really well, it's never gone this good before?


SO ?....who thinks a solid tensioner is a good idea?
It was dreamed up by those lying cheating parts salesmen in order to sell more useless parts that aren't needed AND cause you to have to spend more money after it breaks due to crap parts used.


So when the "tensioner" fails?...what part usually fails?
In my own experience it's usually the pivot bolt which often snaps, the bolt which mounts the pivot arm to the block.
NOT the tensioner it's self.


As for the 3mm lash adjusters....well that's what they get sold on?...the hole is bigger.That's the ONLY reason you buy them.....a bigger hole?
The originals, they get blocked and start to tick....but the hole lets the oil out not in so having a bigger hole will make the problem worse not better? lets more oil out, not into it?
Totally pointless when all you ever need to do is clean the old ones.

Everything fails for a reason.
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!
 
User avatar
Chronos_c4
Club President
Posts: 4716
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Feilding
Contact:

Re: Facebook

Fri 26 Apr, 2019 8:47 pm

Steve, mate there's not much point hiding in the background leaving sad faces on posts/comments you don't agree with like a teenage girl.

If you're not going to contribute as a constructive role model for people who don't know better, then just keep your passive-aggressive Facebook-ing to yourself.

We understand that you have been round the traps, done it all and found out how amazing it is to re-use/mod as many factory parts as possible. But the general public, first-time owners and other people with no mechanical knowledge have only Facebook as their immediate source of (mis)information. 
You can't save every GTO from unqualified people, people still need to discover what works and what doesn't unless there is someone willing to help them learn. Sadly if this learning phase is exercised on a GTO and ends up wrong then that's just unfortunate. We don't all have countless access to spare parts and numerous hours to tinker away and discover things that do and don't work.
Most of us only get one shot at this and cant afford to take gambles on backyard fixes to try save a couple of dollars.

(edit: started writing mine ages ago but youve posted before i could in this case)
Image
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE
 
User avatar
Chronos_c4
Club President
Posts: 4716
Joined: Mon 28 Jan, 2008 6:31 pm
Location: Feilding
Contact:

Re: Facebook

Fri 26 Apr, 2019 8:51 pm

following which, I think that post of yours is probably the most useful so far and backs up what i was thinking already. 
Aside from calling everyone cunts.

Its hard for me to weigh in on the solid tensioners because ive never tried it, but the logic is there and i wish good luck to anyone who swears by one.

whats your pearl of wisdom on the re-setting of the auto tensioners then, seeing as you smiley-faced that comment and sheet from DAYCO
Image
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests