Welcome to the GTOPerformance car club forum!

Moderators: Chronos_c4, GTOrange

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sell - Near new TT Clutch and Flywheel and 450cc Flowed Injectors.

Sun 07 Apr, 2019 5:58 pm

Clutch came out of 1992 TT which I replaced with RPS Flywheel and Stage 3. The clutch is made in japan, Daikin markings and looks in very good condition. The machine marks are still very visible in both the pressure plate and the flywheel. Disc looks good. Around $400. PM me if interested.

450cc Blue injectors for TT, set of 6 flow tested by Caraid CHCH (receipt kept). Recently removed from car in working condition. Around $100. PM if interested.

Thanks.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Sell - Near new TT Clutch and Flywheel and 450cc Flowed Injectors.

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 7:16 pm

Actually I'm sort of tending to maybe not sell this setup because a TT flywheel and Organic is sort of getting a bit rare now and as much as  buying clutches  from the USA is easy, what happens when one of those stage 3/4/5 clutches sh**'s itself....Spares are good. Enquire if you're after this but hmmm I don't know if I should part...

magn1t

Fri 19 Apr, 2019 10:13 pm

Not IF but WHEN...I've had one, only lasted a few months. Was a lemon.

The only ones worth getting are the OS Giken twin plate or another similar twin plate.

Don't waste time or money with a single plate if upping the power / torque level.

Actually thinking back a bit, I had an RPS stage 3, it had a carbon plate. It slipped from day 1 and only got worse. Cost something like $ US 450 then there was freight and GST, price doubled before I got it. The carbon driven plate got destroyed in months , had to get rid of it but the pressure plate was heavy duty ....that's been in my red car for the last 10 years along with an exedy driven plate.....still working 100%...apart from the destroyed clutch booster.

The best single plate setup is the exedy, maybe with an uprated (heavier, comment above) pressure plate but that will make the clutch booster fail over time, fail as in crack the supporting brackets.
Like......everything fails for a reason, once you deviate from stock..
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 6:07 am

magn1t wrote:
Not IF but WHEN...I've had one, only lasted a few months. Was a lemon.

The only ones worth getting are the OS Giken twin plate or another similar twin plate.

Don't waste time or money with a single plate if upping the power / torque level.

Like......everything fails for a reason, once you deviate from stock..

[font=Helvetica][color=#303030]You seem to have had constant bad luck with aftermarket whereas I tend to test my luck and it holds out.... I have the RPS Cyn RG Segmented flywheel which is good and lightweight mated to an XTD stage 3 - sprung plate and cover. Given that most of my racing involves sprinting from the start line, and including quite a few standing quarter miles this combo has held up really well although it did slip on me once in 2nd or 3rd gear about 3 years ago, and I thought Oh Christ here we go. But it has never done that again and I'm hoping I can run the near 370 hp from it next month. The slippage occurred during the run in period of 500 miles so I put it down to that. The greatest asset for a racing clutch is that the vehicle is generally lightened thereby reducing load quite dramatically. Many of the top cars in Turbo category are running 1000kg all up weight or similar. I'm 1390kg less about 50 kilos for door and bonnet lightening plus other bits and pieces so I reckon I'm closer to 1300kg now. I'm aiming for 1200kg.
Actually I was in a dairy last week in Ashburton and a fellow racer commended my start line abilities by saying I'm the fastest car off the mark at their event. It's interesting isn't it because I think I'm slow off the mark being underpowered. For example my comments about the yawning period of slipping into 3rd gear and waiting for the car to get to the end of the standing quarter, it seems like an eternity to me and thats doing 11.9 (PB) and early 12 second quarter miles. I constantly dream of having 500hp.
Funnily enough I was on NENGUN site a few days ago looking at clutches - should failure occur- and the twin plate Giken setup is about two grand and that includes a mated flywheel. I don't think I will ever pay that for a twin plate, it's just too much and is disproportionate to other expenditure on my car. I think I would just go for a Stage 5 single plate for about $300 freighted and hope for the best.
Whilst I'm typing this I recall buying that RPS flywheel off trademe for a hundred dollars about 5-6 years ago and somebody on here, might have been Jack, said they wished they had bought it. I think the owner may have been a contributor on GTO Performance... and why I say that is the RPS flywheel was accompanied by a strange looking disc and a regular looking cover plate. Because I didn't know what the setup was I just shelved the plate and disc. Who knows - that might be my future right there so I should post up for ID of that item. Unless somebody reads this and remembers???...
LOL I'm so "Way outside" of stock it's not funny! So we contradict again Steve.[/font]
[/color]

magn1t

Sat 20 Apr, 2019 11:33 am

You're not going to kill a clutch by circuit racing.

You kill them by launching which is part of dragracing.
They slip, get hot, slip more, get hotter. slip even more. Just like brakes.

A racecar? and you're cheaping out on the clutch????

Those alooominum flywheels.....do a bit of googling....type in "bolts come loose"
Same as with alooooominum heads, they WILL come loose.

Because they're Alooooominum.
Not good.
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sun 21 Apr, 2019 10:32 am

magn1t wrote:
You're not going to kill a clutch by circuit racing.

You kill them by launching which is part of dragracing.
They slip, get hot, slip more, get hotter. slip even more. Just like brakes.

A racecar? and you're cheaping out on the clutch????

Those alooominum flywheels.....do a bit of googling....type in "bolts come loose"
Same as with alooooominum heads, they WILL come loose.

Because they're Alooooominum.
Not good.

Maaate.... I've got Alloooominim wheel nuts. been on the car since I started racing it. I think they are called "Duralamin". I bought a second set some years ago because, they were like only 30 bucks and they come with 4 lock nuts and a key and that was a piss off as the wheels are on and off like a xxxx draws. I thought they would wear out as well, so that's why I bought the 2nd set. So far so good no fails yet.
Last edited by BATOOH on Sun 21 Apr, 2019 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Sell - DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT THIS PLATE IS?

Sun 21 Apr, 2019 10:40 am

Heres' some pics of the Clutch Plate that came with the CYN RG RPS Segmented flywheel I bought in 2011. Also the auction description which is BS but it has the Trademe members name on it. Can anybody tell me what this Plate can do -specification/manufacturer etc??
DSC02964.JPG
DSC02964.JPG
DSC02964.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sun 21 Apr, 2019 10:49 am

I've googled clutch plates for 3000gt/GTO and Stealth but haven't seen anything like the one pictured above.

magn1t

Sun 21 Apr, 2019 11:02 am

BATOOH wrote:
Maaate.... I've got Alloooominim wheel nuts. been on the car since I started racing it. I think they are called "Duralamin". I bought a second set some years ago because, they were like only 30 bucks and they come with 4 lock nuts and a key and that was a piss off as the wheels are on and off like a xxxx draws. I thought they would wear out as well, so that's why I bought the 2nd set. So far so good no fails yet.

Duralumin is just a stronger alloy of Aluminium invented by the Germans prior to WW1 and used for airships.

https://www.aa.co.nz/cars/ask-an-expert ... show/9410/
Not legal for WOF

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthr ... -nuts-safe

https://www.driftworks.com/forum/thread ... -s.144953/

Lucky I'm not going to be on a track anywhere near you.

From one of the above links
 "Everyone knows that you need aluminium nuts if you want people at meet-ups to compliment you."

Just saying.......everything fails for a reason.
quote from barryboys.
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Rays wheel nuts.

Mon 22 Apr, 2019 6:45 am

I remember now what I had when I was using the Rays Nuts. I had 245 tyres on the front and as much Camber as possible before the tyre rubbed on the Chassis, at that time I had 8 turns of the front Nuts. I raced like that for 3 years. I was aware of the marginal nature of that setup. That may have also been a factor in buying the second set. In the last few years I have a set of steel nuts in my race day spares kit. It's a good idea to have spares. so in time things changed.
I went to 235 profile on the front and I couldn't get much more than 1.5 degrees camber. I was using 3mm multifit spacers. That was 2016/2017. I bit the bullet and purchased - about $150 nzd from memory a set of beautiful Muteki wheel spacers and 65mm Studs. Quality is a beautiful thing. The 10mm spacers pushed the wheels out and allowed extra Layover (camber). The wheel studs were so long that the Rays nuts wouldn't thread right up to tightening. The Studs have an unturned nipple on the end of each about 4mm long. Instead of grinding that off to get the Nut to tighten (I couldn't bear to destroy that beauty) I drilled out the ends of the Rays Nuts. from the outside end with a 12mm drill, this was easy as. So now, on the front of my race car I have the full length of the Nut -about 35-40mm, less 4mm threaded onto those long studs. Safe as I reckon.
However I reached the limit of Camber adjustment on the XYZ Coilover Camber adjustment slot and Top Hat (in the engine bay). So at the moment I am lengthening the slot in the XYZ by 1.5mm (which necessitates remaking 4 tiny little Crescent moon shaped inserts - By Hand, to take any play out between the bolt and the slotted mount) and this is time consuming. This will mean I can then pull the top hat adjustment out (to the side of the car) and reposition near it's centre of adjustability even with 2-2.5 degrees of negative Camber. 
When I bought the XYZ's they had a sheet with setup recommendations and Dyno graphs of the actual shocks and they said -2.5 degrees Camber on the GTO front. The N1 Endurance raced PUMA GTO in the 90's had apparently 5 degrees, Which I find hard to believe as they stated they used 17x 8.5 rims with 235 tyres. That car was 1420kg and I believe that from the photo's.
I just bought a Goniometer to measure my Camber. Google that one!