Welcome to the GTOPerformance car club forum!

Moderators: Chronos_c4, GTOrange

box

Re: GTO Track Project-Here we go.

Fri 05 May, 2017 9:09 pm

Haha, they're apparently a very good tyre:

Rules are rules, they are classed as a semi slick after all and perfectly legal.....maybe you should look into them if you're really after some better times. From what I've heard, they're a pretty good step above the other semis on the market. 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Ash street sprints day one... the good news and Bad... update.

Sat 13 May, 2017 8:41 pm

Bad news I'm not even using my $490 brake pads. Good news Is I'm using some mintex 1144 that somebody gave me when I bought some cheap Evo rotors years ago!!

Good news is car is going OK. Bad news is fuel tank mods never/sort of (?) worked. Less surge but probably because I'm too windy to run less than 50 litres in tank!!...

More good news two PB's after a very slow starting time in the wet. Now down to early 2min 37sec and in top 10 after second, run be close that for third run maybe top 15.... first PB was with 115kg son in the passenger seat plus the seat plus that 50+ litres of gas...

The GTO has been receiving favourable reviews for it's sound- there are quite a few noisy rotors and such like down here....

More to come shes a weapon now.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: GTO Track Project-Here we go. - Post race wrap.

Wed 17 May, 2017 4:45 am

Can't sleep It keeps racing around in my head!....bettered my best time of 2 min 39.86 sec last year and achieved a top 16 finishing time of 2 min 36.68. So three seconds up. Much more satisfying when you are quicker than some more expensive machinery...

Mods that allowed the 3 seconds gain were new gearbox and XTD stage 3 clutch (that slipped intermittently?), down to 450cc injectors from 560cc, fuel tank mod that never worked so filled her up!, some minor weight reduction say 20kg from last year, extra Camber, and Mintex 1144 replacing Yellowstuff on the front brakes. Biggest gain was the driver recognising that sweeping corner speed is the answer to this circuits quicker times. so less concern about late braking into hairpin turns and more concentration on achieving higher corner speeds.

My Son co raced the GTO and he had it in the haybales within a couple of runs and exposed some bog in the left rear guard, I was thinking thank god he never kissed it harder.... then later on that day he had an off road excursion into the trees around the big long sweeper at the far end of the course, that meant he kerb hopped at some reasonable pace... drove it back to the pits. No visual damage apart from a small indent on the inner rim of one front wheel and some extra toe out on the left rear wheel ( I have been battling that for years). Struts took the full force of the impact. thankfully I had some sh** hot engine mounts in her and had kept ride height to my trolley jack minimum. Will be pulling front shocks out this Winter! Carried on and I kept my PB's tumbling after this hiccup!

Oh yeah for the record the EVO that blitzed the course record was using brand new Dunlop semis and tyre warmers. He is in a class of his own and  expenditure assures those sorts of times. However I would think I would be the fastest contestant without Ignition Control ! ! (Subject to verification of course). My estimation of power output would be 400hp at the wheels. Bring on the extra 100.

Cant load the pdf overall placings so FB..... (The Folder name has been changed to St Sprints 2018 because 2017 is now done).
https://www.facebook.com/groups/458094097616096/

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: GTO Alternator connections. Question

Mon 22 May, 2017 10:11 pm

Box will probably be able to answer this so in anticipation, thanks mate, anyone else can answer if you know what I mean.
I am continuing with stage 2 of the wiring loom delete on my race car and this is of course the left hand loom from the cockpit into the LH wheel arch and down to the front crossmember rail that has the Radiator brackets etc and into the relay box in the right front-etc.. In removing all the unwanted wires I found that there are only 4 wires connected to the Alt. There are 2 x 8mm white with red trace in parallel and on the separately plugged connector a bluish wire that heads into the Alternator light on the instrument panel/speedo. Also on that Plugged connector is a  red wire that appears 2mm and the wiring diagrams I have shows it going to the battery positive, but in my case it was disconnected and insulated after my first stage wiring delete (Nightmare) a couple of years ago. The wiring diagrams are pretty inconcluisve and don't really show me exactly where or what that red wire does? Now call me a clot but everythng appeared to be working fine. the Alt light come on and went out when started, that battery was charging and it all seemed fine. although I cut a 20ah AGM battery out in about 3 years and I thought I was hard done by. (these AGM'S  are $100 now so that makes things better- 6 kg by the way). Any ideas???

box

Tue 23 May, 2017 6:19 pm

No worries mate, always here to help  :lol:

The alternator has two terminals - L (light) and S (sense). The sense wire needs a +12v supply, the alternator regulator uses this connection to detect charging voltage and alter voltage regulation as required. Disconnecting this wire on a Mitsubishi alternator normally results in slight overcharging (14.9-16v depending on the alternator), the warning light still works correctly.

Get rid of the red wire from your loom, make up a little loop wire that goes from the alternator power stud to the S terminal of the plug. If you want, you can put a waterproof fuse holder and 10a fuse inline - I wouldn't bother personally, up to you though. 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Tue 23 May, 2017 6:28 pm

box wrote:
No worries mate, always here to help  :lol:

Cheers mate Great reply. Much Appreciated.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: GTO recent action shot- rear wheel lift

Thu 25 May, 2017 7:41 am

2017 left rear up at Hairpin.jpg
here's a pic that just come in.
2017 left rear up at Hairpin.jpg

Scruffy

Wed 31 May, 2017 10:05 pm

still cant see it.jpg    :|
"GTO's have a turbo?!"
~Mag & Turbo

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: GTO Turbo downpipe restriction

Sat 03 Jun, 2017 8:57 am

You don't know it until you strip off the 1.3+kg (yes thats weighed with the kitchen scales! it was just a tad over 1.3kg) of heat shielding from the downpipe assembly (the bit that attaches to the turbo droppers and has the oxy sensor in it), ....that just after the second 2 inch downpipe the piping at this point is only 2 and a very little bit inches!!... and it's an ugly right angle connection too.

So the 2 inch in from the front dropper  and 2 inch in  from the rear bank and 2 inch plus a little- maybe 2-1/8" ID, out. Not good mathematics..

I saw the pipe the guy in Te Awamutu had on Trademe recently and as I had a spare downpipe I cut the shielding off it- and it was also time to finish off the exhaust system as I have the 3.5 inch back section in place...

So I'm currently assembling the parts to weld up a 2.5 inch input to a 3.5 inch output, big pipe I know, but more than enough to handle anything I throw at it in future. And of course it'll be heat wrapped to shield the engine more so than keep the gases hot.. 

No photo's as too much of a hassle to load. Thank God I repositioned the oxy sensors (wide and narrowband) into the front of that 3.5 inch pipe just under the cable exit in the trans tunnel that has been a gods end when working on the car!

Last race the announcers were saying that my car sounded great in action so I wonder what it will sound like with a little more access to the turbos??!!

Chronos_c4
Club President

Sun 04 Jun, 2017 4:14 pm

Chronos_c4 wrote:
 I recommend using the instructions detailed in the link below for having your photos show up in your posts:

http://www.gtoperformance.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1129#p13434

Failing that send the photos to me at chronos.c4@gmail.com and I can do it all for you
if you are uploading straight from your camera then they may be too big of a file size for the forum. 

still valid
here to help, doesnt have to be a hard job
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Spare GTO body/chassis- Got One!!!

Sat 08 Jul, 2017 8:27 am

I finally got a spare. Only issue was I had to retrieve it from Invercargill. I thought I was pretty clever cause nothings too far from Christchurch But sh** how dumb I am. 7+ hours and thats with the bloody car trailer on the whole way and a load half the way. I drove 12 hours yesterday in my hungry bloody 380. And that was just from Oamaru to Invers to CHCH. Cost of body $50. Cost of petrol to retrieve it $315. Oh well. Time to take a good look at it. It has a big greddy symbol one side and an even bigger GTO symbol the other side. I mean covering the whole door and then some!!

box

Sat 08 Jul, 2017 6:48 pm

Can never have enough spare cars, right? Same old story, if you don't need any parts then you can get them everywhere for very little money, as soon as you have a breakdown there are no spares to be found. 

How did the 380 tow? (apart from the terrible fuel economy). 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sat 08 Jul, 2017 10:50 pm

box wrote:
Can never have enough spare cars, right? Same old story, if you don't need any parts then you can get them everywhere for very little money, as soon as you have a breakdown there are no spares to be found. 

How did the 380 tow? (apart from the terrible fuel economy). 

Yeah dead right, the day we stack it big time is the day we start hunting for a chassis/body. Given it's taken me six years to locate one I'd say I've done the right thing. Yes there are a couple of Normally aspirated bodies I could have bought around CHCH but I was just never going to compromise the body ever since the day I learned that the TT driveshaft has M10 bolts whereas the NA has M8 bolts... I have been mightily impressed with the rigidity of the TT chassis and I don't see any need for seam welding nor stiffening in future. My guess is you and maybe others will tell me there's no diff between NA and TT but I am just not taking that chance. There may be extra strength portions here and there or extra gusseting who knows but I do know one thing... the Japs/Yanks made damn sure they engineered the cars for the power plants in them. I have seen a mighty opportunity now and that is to be able to reduce weight on the subframes in the front and rear using my spares and swap them over when possible. I am very focussed on achieving 1200kg on all fours. I think this is quite achieveable.
Well the 380. Firstly I love the seat in this car if it had been my old Honda I wouldn't have made any more than 5-6 hours. TBH I was c rapping myself in and around Mataura because the fences the long grass and the shrubs were all hoare frosted at 10.30am. then there were icy patches on shaded parts with grit on them. A few times I got the tracking wiggle that was really unnnerving. I was watching for wheel spin and tacho evidence but did not see any. I would hate to tow CHCH to Greymouth in the wet as I'm sure wheel spin going uphill would result. It was bad down there, as it was I went past one fatal accident scene (diversion took me about 25 metres from the vehicle concerned) at about 9am at Wakouaiti. Cruise control worked fine on the flattish roads and was continually accelerating hard on the steep uphills when I was doing say Oamaru-Dunedin or around Balclutha -Gore (I did the shortcut one way and SH1 back-Clinton-Mataura). The 380 has a quite strong acceleration programmed when you resume or you hit a steep hill. basically it feels like the accelerator goes down 100%!! Consequently Instantaneous fuel usage goes to 40/50 Litres /100km. On the flat Timaru to CHCH it was at the lowest (best) at around 12.9 Litres/100km. I just set at 100km/h and she cruises away at 1800rpm.  When it starts racing uphill I would go back to foot control and let it chug away at the hill and lose speed and regain where possible on the down side or decide to push her down a cog with my foot (accelerator). Because the Towed car had no engine/drivetrain it was lighter and seemed to balance up my trailer and she cruised really sweet and quiet. The achilles heel is the FWD. But that doesn't put me off I have hauled boats out of slippery ramps a 100 times with FWD and never had any real slippage. My Tow rating including fuel economy 7/10. My 380 cost me 4300 and it had 105k km on it, no bastard had changed the trans fluid and quite possibly the air filter since new... I chucked the old GTO oil cooler on as a trans cooler on the 380.

Scruffy

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 9:15 pm

well, the turbo body has a hole for an intercooler pipe, and thats about it haha
"GTO's have a turbo?!"
~Mag & Turbo

BATOOH
Topic Author

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 10:23 pm

Scruffy wrote:
well, the turbo body has a hole for an intercooler pipe, and thats about it haha

And the Oxy sensor hole! and what else?

box

Mon 10 Jul, 2017 10:47 pm

Oxy sensor hole?

Is it true the TT swaybars are bigger than the NA ones? I remember someone writing about them on the bookface page. 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Tue 11 Jul, 2017 7:31 am

I should have said that most of the bodies I have seen in CHCH were crashed and were autos so thats why I had to wait so long for the TT. When you reduce weight in the GTO - things change... for the better...

The load on the engine as calculated by the ECU changes...
The swaybars don't have to resist so much force...
The Coilovers don't have to control so much weight...
The brakes don't have to work as hard and generate as much heat...
The clutch doesn't have to slip so much when starting from standstill...
Acceleration becomes more brisk.

Scruffy

Fri 14 Jul, 2017 7:43 pm

yeah the swaybars are different.
Im talking body though, subframe up. theres really no reason not to use an NA body itself, but i guess you meant using more than that since you mentioned the driveshaft too.
Having said that, Elton (fastbikes i think??) uses a full NA body, drivetrain and 10:1 engine with turbos slapped on running 24psi on a meth mix for a few years now with rough launches and nothing has given up yet (after blowing up the first gearbox on the very first run). not that im advocating that at all haha
"GTO's have a turbo?!"
~Mag & Turbo

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Latest Mods!

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 7:13 am

Been a bit cold here lately so more time in the garage doing the following:

The Final wiring delete from around the engine bay... and the ECU/Footwell mess. Big job.
Power steering cooler upgraded, decided to do it properly and reposition oil cooler from between Radiator and Intercooler. Big job.
Out with the combination gauges and the gearshift console/surround and in with a 600x280mm alloy sheet (2mm) to be bent up and over  central dash crossmember on the Radio/Heater console area. this is to support gauges and switches. new gauge to go in- an oil temp gauge. That will be 5 gauges now. Holes for 7. Potentially 9. And switches. Fun Job.
Front rotors cupped hence squealing brakes- even with poor brakes (and pads) reeled off my PB of 2'36"...Got them shaved and got them home and the lathe had bent the rotor and followed the cupping so no real gain so now he's getting them ground properly straight. God knows what they will be like when I get them back. Not a happy job- $480 pads still to produce results...
Going to cure that fuel surge once and for all soon. That is a major PITA.
Still some big projects once this is all finished.... Ignition control/tuning... diffs... weight reduction...

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Spare GTO body/chassis- Got One!!!

Sat 15 Jul, 2017 7:27 am

BATOOH wrote:
I finally got a spare. Only issue was I had to retrieve it from Invercargill. I thought I was pretty clever cause nothings too far from Christchurch But sh** how dumb I am. 7+ hours and thats with the bloody car trailer on the whole way and a load half the way. I drove 12 hours yesterday in my hungry bloody 380. And that was just from Oamaru to Invers to CHCH. Cost of body $50. Cost of petrol to retrieve it $315. Oh well. Time to take a good look at it. It has a big greddy symbol one side and an even bigger GTO symbol the other side. I mean covering the whole door and then some!!

Delighted to find amongst the smelly mice sh**, a beautiful pair of stock tail lights (left and right) in the boot, an HKS SSQV blow off valve on some intake piping in the boot, a 2-5/8 HKS boost gauge on the dash, a good repaired ECU and other crap like HKS Turbo timer, HKS speed cut and a car alarm of some description. haven't looked under the carpet or under the arse end but the Diff is non helical and the exhaust system is crap. The guy who bought this car for it's engine said the engine had blown a head gasket- well I wonder why!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 7:11 am

Finally managed to score an Emanage Ultimate. Not many GTO owners have used these but appreciate any comments and tips from those that have. Then I guess I will start the long slow process of learning how to install and eventually tune it.

box

Tue 29 Aug, 2017 8:29 pm

You've done well to get one, what did you pay?

Installation is pretty easy. Power, earth, airflow in, airflow out, rpm in, CAS in, CAS out. I recommend you connect your wideband to it, also buy a MAP sensor and connect that to it. Makes life easier when it comes to datalogging and tuning. 

Other than that, it's the same basic principal as any other piggyback tuning. 

Upgrade it to the latest firmware before you start tuning and setting it up. Also, set your dip switches and jumpers as per the manual before you plug in and power up, otherwise you might let some smoke out. There's a good write up on 3si, I think it's called The Ultimate eManage Thread or something along those lines. 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 7:08 pm

box wrote:
You've done well to get one, what did you pay?

$313.20 delivered. Lucky I hope! Out of EVO 5 being returned to stock. Thanks Box for advice. I have installed SAFC1 and SAFC2 and enjoy the challenge of keeping the connections tidy and soldered- always. I don't know what I'm getting myself into- fuel control was easy, but ignition control? WTF?. I don't know what you mean when you say Map sensor... does that mean my gutted MAF ( I have gutted the webbing the holds the honeycombs in as well) and the MAP run in parallel?..

I deliberated along time between Link ECU and piggy back. I spoke with Link twice. I read posts and I agree that a piggyback is not going to nett me 700BHP but 500-550 bhp maybe. So halfway house for me. I don't like how link tell you what to do AND I do know they and other industry professionals will be the first to put the problem back into my hands after they have received their wedge.

The biggest differentiation between my GTO and a normal GTO is weight. I'm going near 1350kg and my goal weight is 1200kg. Load is weight- timing advance is load dependant etc...

One day I think this GTO will win more than it's fair share of accolades. Like Burt. maybe a bit unorthodox, but effective!

magn1t

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 8:59 pm

A stock computer doesn't have a power limit.
Neither does a piggyback.
Nor an aftermarket computer.

The power limit is determined by how much air and fuel it can consume.

So all methods equally work or don't work.
The main limiting factor being the octane of the fuel.

Never listen to salesman who are trying to sell you something.
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

box

Wed 30 Aug, 2017 10:05 pm

That's a really good price. 

You're over complicating things, keep it simple. I lied about the cam sensor wiring, you don't need to worry about it. You do have to cut and join into the ignition control wiring from the ECU to the power transistor. The eManage installation manual is really good
http://www.greddy.com/upload/file/Ultimate_Install.pdf

When I say MAP sensor, I mean MAP sensor. Specifically the Greddy MAP sensor. It's not really needed though, more useful for datalogging. The factory air flow sensor stays where it is.