Welcome to the GTOPerformance car club forum!

Moderators: Chronos_c4, GTOrange

magn1t

Re: GTO Track Project-Here we go.

Fri 25 Nov, 2016 10:08 am

I've always used a Palm 100 but it's old and there's a few drawbacks.
The batteries go flat and you lose everything, needs reloading..
The cradle it sits in doesn't like G forces and the palm keeps jumping into the boot.

This seems quite good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QANQedOLeKs
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Finally Got it...

Tue 06 Dec, 2016 8:57 am

Well it was a very poor standing and flying quarter weekend for me. 13.1 and 143mph is effectively going backwards for me and after reflecting on the changes to my car over the last 6 months (including some settings on the EBC)and adding a new observation to the analysis- max boost about 10 psi- seemed to run up to nearly 14psi then blow down to 10psi. Cured the overheating issue by advancing a few degrees, well probably more than a few degrees… I have been wondering whats wrong for about the year now…It was time to check everything, I was even going to measure boost out of each turbo as the new 15G comp housings have a nipple on them…. But first I was wondering why I couldn’t increase boost…. So I dragged out the EBC manual and studied it.(greddy profec B spec).

Then checked the reality. Oh No. Whats that horey looking Tee I have in the BOV vac line?? That is feeding my EBC Pressure sensor… manual says it should be connected into Fuel Pressure regulator line… and the pressure side of the boost solenoid is getting pressure from just before the T/B not from a turbo outlet as suggested by the manual.

Anyway that horey looking Tee was a one way valve tee….So the BOV was opening up under boost..

Oh well that’s it for this year. Time to change gearbox and clutch over xmas and pull the front of the car to bits in order to extract all the sh** wiring I haven’t had a chance to remove, lighten anything I can while I’m at it.

For the record a chev impala ( I think) it was about 20 feet long, with two bags of cement strapped into the boot, did the standing qtr in 11.559 seconds…

I have one question that bothers me. How sensitive is the vacuum and pressure lines connecting gates/BOV/EBC/ Boost solenoid/FPR ETC. I see that lots of Sellers want to sell Silicon but does the expansion contraction of the soft silicon or rubber under pressure and vac mean the hosing makes the devices it connects to slow to operate, should I be aiming for low deformation - say nylon reinforced vac/pressure lines??? In order to ensure faster response of the connected items??

magn1t

Re: Finally Got it...

Tue 06 Dec, 2016 9:47 am

BATOOH wrote:
I was even going to measure boost out of each turbo as the new 15G comp housings have a nipple on them….

You can't do that because they're in parallel, as in same pressure.

As for the rest of it, I don't understand the 1 way valve. The rest won't make any difference.
The reason that the FPR line is suggested (for pressure sensing) is because there's no flow so no pressure loss along the length of it.
Likewise taking the WG opening pressure from pre throttle or straight off the turbo, you'll have a bit more pressure at the turbo than at the (pre) throttle......it will prevent boost creep which you don't have.

When you finally pull it down, check the rear exhaust manifold for warpage at the cylinder head flange, it's quite common on all engines and will cause the symptoms you've got. It's easy fixed with a linisher. Other things can cause it too of course but always worth checking.
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Tue 13 Dec, 2016 12:03 pm

surge pot extension-concept.tif
Ok I’m getting to the pointy end of the fuel surge problem on this race car and I must have this cured before next May’s street sprint. So I was going to have a dabble with foam. Nope not now. How would I keep the foam just around the fuel pump and prevent it from moving around??… and how would I prevent it from snagging the fuel level swing float? And if some say fill the whole tank with foam it would cost me $280 for the foam and I would still have problems with the fuel gauge float… and it’s hard to do without a gauge, maybe one day I may be able to wean myself off the gauge but for now, nope. So I been reading the web again.. the Amelicans are using surge pots, yay, more dollars on Aero connections/External Fuel Pump/Electrics and a bloody engineering mission to boot.

So my brains been a working on this for a while. Latest idea is to fit a higher baffle onto the existing surge bowl pickup that the pump and filter sock sit into… now I only need hard right hand surge control –that means baffling on the left so I’m thinking I can raise the height of the Stock surge bowl… maybe even reduce or block the left hand side filler vent at the base of that surge bowl. But how would I get a larger chunk of plate into the 100mm opening… OK ..that’s it cut her open, do the mod and stitch it back up again. Not the first time I have cut open a tank, nothing to be afraid of just got to get rid of all that vapour! Here’s my sketch. Should work. Big Question – will this work?? Cheap though. I know a good welder.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Trans case spool

Thu 15 Dec, 2016 1:12 pm

I've got next week off and it's time I got the trans case spool replaced with a 25 spline which I have had in my possession for about a year now... I've read a 20 ton press won't do it and a 30 ton struggles and there is a youtube vid of the process which makes it easy to guide the company I'm going to get to do this. The only thing that bothers me is Tonne versus Ton !!.. All USA posts and vid.

Has anybody done this and have any tips??

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Transfer Case spool- nearly done...

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 7:52 pm

OK I've seen a 25 Ton press grunt it's way through the process of changing to a 25 spline, but when I fit the cover and tighten with two bolts with just a nip the gears freeze, so when You loosen the gears unfreeze etc.. to be expected I guess. so rather than rocking in with a  good thick shim gasket made of gasket paper, anybody got any thoughts on what materials may be best and what thickness shim I should be aiming at?? I have various thicknesses of stainless shim not that I'd like to work that, but in the old days I think we used different thicknesses of gasket paper??

box

Mon 13 Mar, 2017 8:54 pm

On the transfer case or the transmission? You can definitely get different thickness gasket paper but there's got to be some other issue going on which would have me more concerned. 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Tue 14 Mar, 2017 8:51 pm

Found it, checked the web and found the shims the yanks talk about, removed a 0.48mm shim and nipped it down and she's loose. a little play but will investigate that from the shims on the other side of the case.... This case had two shims inside the cover a .48mm one and another that would be about 1/3 to half that 0.48mm one. Interesting little box of tricks these, I see in the recall documentation that you are not to remove the bolt in the cover, gawd knows what thats all about.
I'd say par for the course it must be pretty hard to get the spools exactly the same as OEM hence the need to jiggle shims around.

magn1t

Thu 16 Mar, 2017 8:21 pm

It's no different from setting up a diff properly in a RWD car.
You've got to have the gears meshing properly otherwise they'll chip and destroy everything.
quote from barryboys.
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Wed 19 Apr, 2017 9:11 pm

I've got a PDF results sheet I'm trying to post on here and it keep saying it's an invalid file extension- any ideas anyone. I could copy and paste the Web string but thats a bit crass.... Whats the issue? chrs..

Gazza
Club Treasurer

Thu 20 Apr, 2017 2:52 pm

It probably need to be an image, like a PNG or BMP to post on here, I don't think the forum can handle PDF.
au naturel.

Scruffy

Thu 20 Apr, 2017 7:28 pm

could try this
https://pdf2jpg.net/
"GTO's have a turbo?!"
~Mag & Turbo

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: GTO Fuel tank design and shortcoming.

Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:33 pm

In the previous posts I was going to post up a results sheet showing that I lead the way in 2 of three runs and relegated to 5th overall after the third. The significance of this was that my new gearbox is in and working and it was a short course event- an Autocross. Two hairpins and a whole lot of chicanes by Orange marker cones... OK much ado about nothing except this was not a GTO friendly course, however my GTO liked it... two gears and feathering the throttle round a sweeping hairpin in 1st gear loved it. I went to that event because I wanted to test the new gearbox and race clutch didn't even remotely think I would match the little cars.... Top runner was a road legal s2000 Honda and from what I could see a modified one. 

Anyway here's the inside of a GTO fuel tank and I had forgotten what it looked like... anyway the bowl around the pump pickup sock is raised on the left hand end to prevent fuel spill out of the bowl when taking a fast right hander... This was to be my "cure" mod. However I noticed the small 11-12mm recharge hole in the top right (corrected) corner of the bowl... best place to put it as the end of the tank is right there so if negotiating a hard hard left hander the fuel will bank up very close to the recharge hole.

In short I put another recharge hole lower down on the bowl side and in the lower right hand corner position. here's the pics.n Will test this hopefully before I race again.The proof will be in the results sheet I guess.
DSC02599.JPG
DSC02599.JPG
DSC02607.JPG
DSC02607.JPG
DSC02612.JPG
Last edited by BATOOH on Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:37 pm

hmmm placed pics inline maybe it will take a little time to load them on here...

BATOOH
Topic Author

Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:39 pm

test
DSC02599.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scruffy

Fri 28 Apr, 2017 7:28 pm

NOPE.JPG
"GTO's have a turbo?!"
~Mag & Turbo

box

Fri 28 Apr, 2017 8:49 pm

I've got nothing coming up here. 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 5:07 pm

DSC02607.JPG

DSC02606.JPG

DSC02599.JPG

Second shot.jpg!

Chronos_c4
Club President

Sun 30 Apr, 2017 6:07 pm

I have had a look at the admin settings regarding your attachments and they seem to be stuck in limbo due to user error.

I'm not really sure how or why its done that, but I recommend using the instructions detailed in the link below for having your photos show up in your posts:

http://www.gtoperformance.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1129#p13434

As of now all we can see is that you have tried to upload but it hasn't worked.

Failing that send the photos to me at chronos.c4@gmail.com and I can do it all for you
if you are uploading straight from your camera then they may be too big of a file size for the forum. 
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Ashburton Street Sprints May 13/14

Wed 03 May, 2017 7:32 pm

Nearly that time again, lots of improvements made on the GTO racer. last years best time was 2 min 39 sec and previous year was 2 min 44 sec. Looking for low 30's this year.... Course record is 2 min 23+ although not many cars going quicker than 2 min 30 sec.

Have hopefully improved the fuel sloshing problem so I don't have to nearly fill the tank, have added a little more Camber front and rear after photos show it was not quite there, 560cc injectors out 450cc in, found BOV problem with one way Tee and sorted so boost is back. Further weight reductions in order of 40kg but not weighed to check that. Back to an AGM battery at 6kg .. last years run on the 24kg battery.. advanced the timing and high temps were reduced - I will be checking and probably advancing again this friday in testing. New Gearbox and Stage 3 clutch in. Still on the Nitto NT01's they are wearing, but not bad. will experiment a little more with tyre pressure this year. all going well she should hold up as it's been reliable over the last three events. who knows timing control or ECU next year and up the boost again maybe some methanol or whatever funny juice works... oh yeah forgot I put $500 pads in the front with newly built deflection cooling ducts so hope like hell they work good!!

Oh yeah the boy is joint driving it this year so thats if we survive the hay bales!!

box

Wed 03 May, 2017 8:11 pm

Fantastic. What pads? 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Thu 04 May, 2017 6:45 am

Pagid RST3. 

Tier 3 Pad. Apparently NZV8's used them. Probably tear my Rotors to bits, the Yellowstuff pads were great, stopped the car hot and cold and I felt comfortable with them and they never even wore the rotor after 1000km's racing.

Gazza
Club Treasurer

Thu 04 May, 2017 10:51 am

Have you thought about going to full slicks?  I binned my set when I left NZ as they were getting a bit old, they were ex-NZV8 tyres that fitted the stock GTO wheels perfectly.
au naturel.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Slicks...

Thu 04 May, 2017 9:19 pm

Nah seems to be a lot of probs in that Slickys cant be used at this meet and that meet.... And I guess they prob cost more. I'll just wear the Nitto's down to the wear markers and call them slicks.... people down here talk about guys that try and bend the system like I was at an event recently and a guy came up in discuss that had slicks grooved around the circum so that they technically weren't slicks....;

The Nittos are a damn good tyre I reckon no need to change when I replace except that I have a full set of advan RG2's  shoe'd witn Dunslop slicks off NZV8 they are hard as hell and need burning now. But the Advns ar near 60% the weight of the current racing rims I use. I took the view that I would kiss the curb and kill the good rims so I used the heavyweight no break racing rims and haven't so much as barked them at all.... fate... lapping at the door...

Gazza
Club Treasurer

Fri 05 May, 2017 12:10 am

Haha yes, Murphy's Law.  You just know that as soon as you turn up with competition slicks it's gonna be a cold, grey day and they'll never get up to temperature.  Turn up on road tyres and it's guaranteed to be a scorcher.  That was always the way for me anyway.
au naturel.