Welcome to the GTOPerformance car club forum!

Moderators: Chronos_c4, GTOrange

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: GTO Track Project-Here we go.... AGAIN!!!

Sat 04 May, 2019 6:18 pm

It's that time again and I'm off to do an event tomorrow, It's a gymkhana which unfortunately was an AutoCross last time I did that event at that location 2 years ago. This is leading up to the big one for me the following weekend. Gymkhana means no real distance just playing round cones. Goal this time is to better my PB below 2min 30 for the Ash street sprint. Thats 2.6 seconds quicker than I did it last year- with my hair on fire!!!! (Cue Link ECU avatar). Car has been good so I'm hoping it holds up. Some changes this year include some Video footage care of a cheap 4k sport cam. First order of video evidence is to place it fair smack in front of my gauges and record some evidence. Have to give back the trophies I got last year, one of which is reluctantly returned and the other of which is gladly returned. I'm gonna do a FB story on the Trophy I have really enjoyed holding for the last year. I never got to Ruapuna to test the car as they now want $120 for a half day race car testing day. No wonder I don't frequent the place. I actually don't enjoy that track.
There's lots of finessing to do on the GTO. I can't believe I have not fixed the fire damage and used it within the year.. This is changing this year and I'm definitely spending Winter braving the cold in the workshop. I have Brake engineering, further Weight reduction and Power development in mind. Well foremost in Mind.
I'm 59 now but one thing hasn't changed... If I get into that TOP8 shootout, I'm gonna slaughter that car! It's mine and I'm allowed to!

box

Re: GTO Track Project-Here we go.

Sat 04 May, 2019 6:42 pm

Good luck. Don't forget, I still want to see a copy of that tune :)

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sun 05 May, 2019 5:31 pm

Yes Box I will get a copy of that Tune to you some day soon but a little busy and  a little technologically challenged at the mo. here's result from todays outing.
DSC02990.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Cone racing

Tue 07 May, 2019 3:44 am

It just goes to show our GTO's if highly modified, can foot it with Lotus 7/Caterhams in the tight twistys. I got him in Round 3. And explanation for the first run is that I had left my helmet on the passenger floor as you do and forgot so it was doing it's G sensor act all round the cabin so I slowed down grabbed it and put it on my head with one hand whilst continuing the course with one hand on the wheel trying not to knock any cones over. I only knocked one cone over and that was round 4, a 5 sec penalty applied. The first mirage in 3rd place was NA and the 4th placed Mirage has a EVO transplant. Both those drivers are excellent. Quite a confidence booster.
DSC02991.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chronos_c4
Club President

Thu 09 May, 2019 7:22 pm

holy crap what an excellent result!

i should be back down your way (chch) for 5/6 months later this year so ill have to come watch one of your races again
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: GTO Dismal weekend of racing...

Sun 12 May, 2019 8:04 pm

At least I came home with car undented, not leaking and still driving. Couldn't get closer than 5 seconds to last years PB. 
Run 1 hit cone incurred 5 sec penalty but it was a planned attempt to cut the cones closer- didn't work, 
Run 2 drivers door swung open round first left hander, then I hit the sweeping Right hander after I had grabbed the door and shut it, and the sweeper was the scene of a major oil catastrophe where the whole field of drivers were invited to walk the length of the course to assess the mess. 3 bags of cement used. Major eco disaster. Too Much... time suffered.
Run 3. Best run I think.
Run 4.Tried the old take a different line trick. Well locked up going in too hot and had to run right of the tyres going into a 180 hairpin which meant I navigated round the pin in the wrong direction and should have incurred a dnf. But there are some GTO lovers at that pin and they didn't radio me in!!. TGF GTO lovers..
Run 5, Top 32, car was going OK but couldn't get the time out of it. 2min 38 was slower by 1 second than Run 3...5 Seconds off PB.

So as it stands, I can not explain the poor result. But I can clearly and implicitly forecast a much better result next year from the things I am going to do to this GTO (and It's driver) before I hit this event in 12 months time.... By the way I have 2-3 vids of the runs so will try do something sensible about mid this week, as Monday night is stuffed and... Tech skills are a little soft!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: dismal weekend of racing

Mon 13 May, 2019 8:49 am

Well. looking at the somewhat garbled and patchy videos I ended up with (its a $60 sport camera) I can see straight away the set gain setting on the EBC was set too low. Boost was slow to come on. I don't know what I will do with these vids, one of them is complete and shows the car doing the full circuit in 2 min 38 sec and the other is just the last 40 odd seconds of the previous run which was a second quicker but a helluva difference in what you see from the camera ( car alot faster). It's Interesting. More to come here.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: FLAPS FLIES AGAIN.

Tue 14 May, 2019 8:27 pm

https://youtu.be/SQLwd3PkEiw

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: What's wrong with this world...

Wed 15 May, 2019 5:42 am

[color=#dcdcdc][size=65]Image[/size][/color]
[size=150]Genuine OEM parts direct from Japan
[color=#dcdcdc]Image[color=#ffffff]Nengun Performance has been supplying genuine OEM parts direct from Japan since the year 2000. If you have any questions, our experienced and friendly customer service team is always happy to help, please send us an enquiry.
[/color][/size][/color]
[color=#dcdcdc][size=100][color=#ffffff][size=150]Transfer Assy Part List  [/size]
[/color][/size][/color]
[table][tr][td]MB896326 [/td]
[td]30010A [/td]
[td]Transfer Sub Assy [/td]
[td]Applicability: 01.07.1995-03.08.2000 All cars Specification: W6MG1 Replacement: MN156479 QTY: 1[/td]
[td][/td]
[td]NZD $ 5,153.93 [/td]
[td]Add to Cart  [/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

box

Wed 15 May, 2019 12:24 pm

Bargain! I got my 6 speed transfer case (along with the gearbox, prop shaft and shifter cables) out of Japan back when Hayatonka were bringing in a container every few months, it was quite well priced. It was quite simple, find the item on Yahoo auctions Japan, tell them what you were willing to spend and they did the bidding & shipping for you (at a small price).

Have you thought about going to an NA manual drivetrain instead? Shorter gears and everything is just lighter, cheaper and parts are more readily available. If the million horsepower Evo boys can run the W5M33, why can't we? Your car is lighter than a standard Evo anyway. 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Wed 15 May, 2019 1:05 pm

Cheers Box, didn't even think about that as an option. definitely in the melting pot although -did Mitsi make a 6 speed Manual for a Normally aspirated? Those High HP EVO boys seem to eat diffs for lunch, seen 3-4 of them go kaput in last few years. I can't remember if I said above, but I have a 6 speed awaiting transport to me but no Trans case. I will keep chasing that anyway. yes car is closer to 1300kg than 1400kg. I just bought some new cut off wheels today...!! Winter job is to pull engine out, swiss cheese the front end, reconfigure brake lines and remove Brake vacuum servo and reposition master onto rhs where the pedal is, If I don't get the 6 speed bits I will just keep using the 5 for now. Didn't fastbikes strip off 4th gear doing standing 1/4's. Seem to remember something about that. his second gen car was NA converted to turbo and running NA driveline. Full fat car though, UUgggh.

magn1t

Wed 15 May, 2019 3:49 pm

box wrote:
If the million horsepower Evo boys can run the W5M33, why can't we?

It's the torque that kills them , not the HP. A 6G will always make more torque than a 4G.
How about a tricked up auto?
They have a steel mid case too for the transfer case and dirt cheap.
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Thu 16 May, 2019 1:50 pm

magn1t wrote:
box wrote:
If the million horsepower Evo boys can run the W5M33, why can't we?

It's the torque that kills them , not the HP. A 6G will always make more torque than a 4G.
How about a tricked up auto?
They have a steel mid case too for the transfer case and dirt cheap.

Going Auto, (apart from Standing qtr events) and using an Automatrix tends to fly in face of conventional wisdom. Everybody pays huge money for sequentials. F that. In fact I was speaking with an EVO owner who was selling his dog box for $5k to fund a Sequential at $15k. Anyway he was having a bad weekend. Clutch was poked and he was shortshifting. Then it happened. The DogBox went and he had to get towed back in. I love my GTO.

magn1t

Thu 16 May, 2019 7:08 pm

Conventional wisdom says that it's dumb spending lots of money on car parts that will eventually break.

Conventional wisdom also says that most boy racers have no idea what can be done with an auto transmission  for a comparatively very cheap price......You can get shift kits, manual, as in push button gear changing...lots and lots.....but it's an auto and that's a bad word.
If your aftermarket ECU is any good it should be able to change gears for you based on RPM and TPS if required and reduce torque on shifts etc.Something like a megasquirt will have the capability to be added later.

There's dog boxes and there's dog boxes. Gears are specially heat treated and when you go welding them it fecks everything up. Got to use the right materials and got to use the right method.

What say you had an R35?
How do they work?

Why would you NOT want to have a fancy computer control your gears when you've just done a computer upgrade on the engine?....lol
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Fri 17 May, 2019 7:08 am

magn1t wrote:
Why would you NOT want to have a fancy computer control your gears when you've just done a computer upgrade on the engine?....lol

To be Honest, I can't even set up the Greddy EBC properly on my car to get the best out of the engine/ECU package.
It has gone alright I guess (Top 8 last year) and that has masked my attention on the Power factor. The DYNO tuner did exactly the same thing as me when he setup the EBC. Getting 2nd in a Cone race was also a distraction that masked the power issue.
I'm just very cautious when it comes to spending money on this car because at the end it will be practically worthless.
I have always improved my PB every year except this one. So this was a shock for me. Happily though it's exactly what I needed to pull finger. I have a plan and Boy an I MOTIVATED. Results will show at the start of next season.

magn1t

Sat 18 May, 2019 12:13 pm

This might help a bit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNGFep6rncY

Something to think on for a while.
quote from barryboys.
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Thu 23 May, 2019 6:43 pm

magn1t wrote:
This might help a bit?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNGFep6rncY

Something to think on for a while.

I viewed a little of this Vid but got a bit bored by what I thought was the old sales theme I always got when working in Telecom in Wellington- What got you here today is not enough to keep you here tomorrow! So in the last week or so i have taken 7kg out of the car interior, and there's more to remove, I have just bought another blumol hole saw attachment! I am going to remove the rear subframe and hit it hard, I think it is way over engineered and I expect at least 15kg weight saving as it's 50+ kg apparently, without diff, axles and wheel hubs. I am going to pay particular attention to unsprung weight. Then I will get her going again and have a wee play with the EBC. I think I have that thing sussed. Then if I see the result I'm looking for, it's out with the motor etc, swiss cheese the front main subframe crossmember, relocate the Brake master Cyl, replumb the brakes with an adjustable Prop Valve, do as much as I can in the time frame I got, and put her back together, hopefully I will then be able to qtr mile it. Having worked on the upper steering column today I just can not believe how solidly these cars are built. No wonder my Custom Car builder said he thought the front sub etc was really solidly built. He's got a Silvia track car in the pipe. Oh and the other thing that has helped, more warm clothing allowing me to do the late shift in the garage when it's FING Cold. God I'm looking forward to a 10 sec Qtr.....???