Welcome to the GTOPerformance car club forum!

Moderators: Chronos_c4, GTOrange

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Fibreglass weight reduction idea

Mon 28 May, 2018 8:30 pm

The rear corner quarter of the GTO has a very rounded top corner piece of bodywork that sits directly above the left and right tail lights. I have had these out over various times and some months ago looked at potential weight reduction, because, they are ridiculously heavy for what they are! They must weight 3 or 4 kilograms x 2. The only time you ever use them is when you are pushing one of these big heavy Britches. They mount via a complex bolt systm and are basically a bitch to mount so there is probably no easy was to make a lightweight replacement from some other material.

Anybody got any bright ideas of how to lighten/subsitute??..

Chronos_c4
Club President

Re: GTO Track Project-Here we go.

Mon 28 May, 2018 9:38 pm

ive found them quite an over-engineered piece as well
and impossible to remove if the hoop spoiler is still attached :(

maybe thing a fibre glass case filled with expanding foam? they serve no structural purpose
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE

BATOOH
Topic Author

Fri 31 Aug, 2018 6:32 pm

Chronos_c4 wrote:
ive found them quite an over-engineered piece as well
and impossible to remove if the hoop spoiler is still attached :(

maybe thing a fibre glass case filled with expanding foam? they serve no structural purpose

BTW, I found a way to lighten these things. Saved about 1kg plus without reducing functional integrity. Small gain, yeah, but at least I don't have to buy a carbon fibre bonnet!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Fri 31 Aug, 2018 6:43 pm

BATOOH wrote:

It was apparently spectacular and I'm hoping a minor fire as it was caused by a leaking rear trans case seal which I reckon I cooked at the Chertsey flying mile 6 months ago.

It wasn't a leaking trans case seal. It was the nylon tube from the oil pressure outlet on the engine that went to the oil pressure gauge. After 3-4 years of no problem racing like this it became a problem and the line melted right where the rear turbo heatshield is... YDC ( this stands for You Dumb CXXX). So thats why my newly wrapped 3.5 inch downpipe lit up. Ok in defence it was a priority to route that plastic tube when I first installed it but then you get slack after a few years and I see the line had dropped, definitely after some maintenance work.. And the pity of this is that  Trisco copper line and fittings from SCA is $18.99. The Trans case seal was rooted as well. Cost $41 for a Viton  item.. Live and learn.

magn1t

Fri 31 Aug, 2018 7:51 pm

That's another mod that nobody should ever do because it'll always fail given time.

Which reminds me of an ex workmate who had a mk3 Cortina.....back in the day when they were modern.
He put a V6 into it from a mk4 z car.
Then decided he wanted an oil pressure gauge..........anyway, nothing really changes.
We had the usual kids discussion at work about lights and gauges.(no different from kids on FB these days) I said to him to use a T piece to keep both the idiot light as well as the gauge.
But he didn't bother with the T and just fitted the gauge with the nylon line and disconnected the light.....rushed jobs always turn to sh**.
Having a new engine.......well you've got to test it out and back in those days the only place to do it was the Himitangi straits.Those things take about 10 mins full throttle to find top speed.
Needless to say the heat from the exhaust was too much for the plastic line and with no idiot light ..........the engine died.

I've never been able to hold back on the "I told you so".
That one became another "abandoned project".

As for fires and myself, I used to have a Galant VR4 which I shouldn't have bought. I did a trackday at Manfield, got black flagged because it popped the dipstick out with boost, the oil blew out the tube too, ran down the side and caught fire..........it wasn't stem seals either. Broken pistons.....no, it's not normal for any dipstick to ever pop out unless it's fooked.
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

BATOOH
Topic Author

Fri 31 Aug, 2018 8:33 pm

ahhh it's just a chunt when you have to do things and as well as do things you have to figure out the rotation of the earth as well as the technical sh** that accompanies all that...!@

BTW... I was in at Spraystore today picking up some H84 and there was a Mk3 corty with a well publicised 303 V8 emblem on the side... Dag Coincidence.

soz I meant 302 CI
Last edited by BATOOH on Fri 31 Aug, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Fri 31 Aug, 2018 8:35 pm

haha no time to look at gauges when under fire, the gauges are just there to tell you you got something before the race starts..!! 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Link upgrade on it's way.

Thu 14 Feb, 2019 8:34 am

I'm the (proud?) owner of a G4+ Plugin for the old girl. Been a long time coming.  Got to take the 450's out and throw in the 560's, change the plugs to good old BCPR7ES and close the gap a little and thats it I lose the ability to Dyno as it was last year as the Injectors change everything. Yes I would have loved to have had current vs upgraded dyno charts, but not to be. Will post up DYNO inside the month - I hope!

What can go wrong from here- well everything really, but on the positive side of things I guess my stage 3 clutch might not like the excess HP. The Stage 3 is well bedded in and I'm gonna run with it in May, but thinking about a Stage 4 and I'm already thinking I may be wise to go for more HP in future on the Clutch. Car is closer to 1300kg than 1400kg so this makes a difference.

The MAF goes and I guess I will lose the speedo and Tach.. Bugger more issues I guess downstream. But this is progress as they say!

box

Thu 14 Feb, 2019 9:09 pm

That's exciting. Did you buy a Link out of the UK? Or did you just buy an Evo 1-3 plugin? 

Where are your speedo & tacho going? 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Thu 14 Feb, 2019 9:29 pm

box wrote:
That's exciting. Did you buy a Link out of the UK? Or did you just buy an Evo 1-3 plugin? 

Bought Off Link Dealer in Timaru. It's just an EVO 1-3 plugin, which I understand is what the Poms use. I have had correspondence with the outfit in the UK and they tended to suggest the Pinout/wiring alterations were developed by them and therefore only obtainable via them! My guess is that the speedo and tach are going out with the stock ECU! If either works after the Link goes in I will keep until such time as I come across a good aftermarket/all encompassing solution -that is affordable. I have my eye on the unobtainable sub 2 min 20 lap time in the future. I really think I can do it given a bit more finesse- both in car and driver terms. I would not even suggest this if I didn't think the car could support that, But I think it can. as Unbelievable as that sounds I think it can do it.

magn1t

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 1:23 pm

A computer never gives you more power, you're limited by the octane of the fuel and limited by the turbos boost.....it's just wishful thinking .
You won't lose the speedo or the tach, they're not ECU driven items........the speedo gets it pulses from the gearbox sender, the tach gets the pulses from the PTU., the relevant pins on the ECU are inputs, not outputs.
The downside of the link is that you've now got no knock detection.....unless you're really, really clever. even then it's never going to be as good as with a stock ECU.
What's the idea behind the downgraded sparkplugs?, you actually want as big a gap as possible (without misfire), not a small one, a bigger gap requires more spark energy which you don't have.....nor are you going to get with a link even if you go to COP.Low quality sh** plugs, never as good as the stock ones.....a sharp point requires less voltage than flat surface for the spark to jump the same gap.
quote from barryboys.
Yes, yes, yes, that might be so, but you're clearly missing the bigger picture.....
4 intercoolers!!!!!!!!
Beat that!!!!

box

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 6:57 pm

BATOOH wrote:
box wrote:

Bought Off Link Dealer in Timaru. It's just an EVO 1-3 plugin, which I understand is what the Poms use. I have had correspondence with the outfit in the UK and they tended to suggest the Pinout/wiring alterations were developed by them and therefore only obtainable via them! My guess is that the speedo and tach are going out with the stock ECU! If either works after the Link goes in I will keep until such time as I come across a good aftermarket/all encompassing solution -that is affordable. I have my eye on the unobtainable sub 2 min 20 lap time in the future. I really think I can do it given a bit more finesse- both in car and driver terms. I would not even suggest this if I didn't think the car could support that, But I think it can. as Unbelievable as that sounds I think it can do it.

It's funny you mention that. I also made some enquiries regarding the plugin ECU available out of the UK and they insist that it's modified, they insist it will drive injectors and 6 coils sequentially - as far as I know, the standard plugin only has 4 injector drivers (unless they're doing something weird with the addon I/O expansion plug thing). You can always just batch fire the injectors.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 8:24 pm

Yeah I thought they did the weird thing with the XS loom add on. But Neville told me he has to modify the board, so there must be a minor PCB board mod and XS loom to connect the extra Injector drives.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Heel and Toe...

Fri 15 Feb, 2019 8:28 pm

Oh, and I modified the accelerator pedal so that it is nearer the brake pedal. There was no way in the world I was going to emulate Ayrton Senna driving a Honda NSX ( there's a good vid on U tube) in order to Rev match when downshifting. Until now I have just stood hard on the brake with the right foot and waited until I got real close to the hairpin before attempting to shove it into first gear from third gear.

box

Sat 16 Feb, 2019 10:00 am

Have you thought about bringing the clutch pedal in closer to the brake pedal too? I found it made left foot braking a lot easier. 

What spark plugs are you using at the moment? 

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sun 17 Feb, 2019 8:48 am

box wrote:
Have you thought about bringing the clutch pedal in closer to the brake pedal too? I found it made left foot braking a lot easier. 

What spark plugs are you using at the moment? 

No I'm a right foot braker and I'm not looking to change that.
I have just taken out the Iridiums with the 6 heat rating and put in Coppers - BCPR7ES set at 28 thou on the advice of the tuner. Apparently quite alot of jap boosted engines use the BCPR7ES when they are mildly boosted and raced. We are tuning around 21 PSI soon. I had trouble keeping boost stable above 16-17 PSI.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Vacuum lines.

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 5:35 am

Well I did have a couple of lines mixed up. Can't have been to bad though as it did an 11.9 quarter and top 8 shootout. I had the EBC VAC/ pressure line connected pre T/B instead of Tee'd into the FPR line connected post T/B. And I had pressure source for the EBC Wastegate actuator Tee'd off the rear turbo Compressor nipple with a cheap gauge (I have 2 x cheap boost gauges connected to each turbo just to see what it's like). So that rear Boost gauge never showed any real pressure although the car ran good, So I took the Wastegate pressure pipe off that rear turbo and connected pre T/B.... Yet to be tested.

One thing really bugs me. It just constantly pisses me off that there are 4,5 and 6 mm -Barbed and unbarbed nipples all over the bloody Wastegate actuator, EBC, bov, T/B etc. Is there a solution to this, I looked for a 4-5 mm converter to no avail. The worst one is where the BOV connects to the T/B with the stock 6mm and the HKS valve I use is a 4mm unbarbed connector. Well it looks just horrible having that join right in front of everything. And knowing it's about to get 20 PSI+ up it's arse everything has to be clamped.

box

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 3:38 pm

Why can't you just stretch 4mm vacuum hose over the 6mm barb?

BATOOH
Topic Author

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 7:17 pm

box wrote:

Cause I'm using Original and repurposed vac rubber hose. It won't stretch that far. Will Thick wall silicon (3mm wall ) of 4mm int. diameter stretch over 6mm barb? If Silicon stretches far batter (and it probably will as it's not reinforced) I will shell out and convert to 4mm all over and get rid of all the joins, and yes a little PVC Hosing too!

box

Sat 23 Feb, 2019 9:21 pm

The black rubber vacuum hose from repco works fine, it's nice and cheap and it doesn't split. Reinforced is overkill, proper thick walled vacuum hose is fine. Also, just use very small cable ties over the hose ends to hold them in place.

Chronos_c4
Club President

Sun 24 Feb, 2019 4:47 pm

BATOOH wrote:
box wrote:

Cause I'm using Original and repurposed vac rubber hose. It won't stretch that far. Will Thick wall silicon (3mm wall ) of 4mm int. diameter stretch over 6mm barb? If Silicon stretches far batter (and it probably will as it's not reinforced) I will shell out and convert to 4mm all over and get rid of all the joins, and yes a little PVC Hosing too!

yea im using that 3mm/4mm/3mm blue silicon and it goes a good job
locks down on all nipples, ribbed and unribbed. its only like $7pm from trademe, would only need 2 meters to do whole engine bay
Follow the progress: My rides thread HERE

BATOOH
Topic Author

Mon 25 Feb, 2019 8:11 am

Thanks for the advice Guys. I'm going to do it properly as they say. You know, thick wall, no needless joins, shortest length, all secured etc. That will cost me around double what the 2mm wall stuff on Trademe is. This is because this thing will be running boost levels way over what is normal. And under bonnet temps will reflect that. So I will do it to a race spec even though thats unwritten. BTW did you know that it looks like you can buy direct from Turbosmart (Aust). beats buying from some of their useless NZ Agents.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Vinyl stickering to order.

Thu 14 Mar, 2019 9:27 pm

Anybody On here good at doing "High Quality german Oriol vinyl Stickers"... as they say in the Orient... I have a need.

BATOOH
Topic Author

Re: Link ECU Dyno

Wed 20 Mar, 2019 2:27 pm

Dropped car off this morning ready late next or week after. Thinking 400hp at 20psi.  will post up sheet when I get it. Lucky I hadn't done my brake master mods as planned. It will be easier now. reposition the master cylinder (only) onto the drivers side and lengthen pedal/reposition the pivot point so that all the braking pressure is applied by foot. Then I can lose the steam pipe brake shaft and it's firewall mounts and the Servo. weight saving could be 10kgish  I spose. . sounds good to me. Also my small but annoying brake lockup when hitting hairpins may be something to do with dual channel braking whereby I've retained the original diagonal linking of front left to rear right and vice versa. Thats now going to change to front channel and rear channel with brake prop valve on the rear channel only. I thought I had done a good job on the GTO's doors by getting them down to half their original 36kg weight. But then I saw a GTR with 6 kg Fibreglass doors but then again the crash bars are gone and the cage is now providing side intrusion bars. Still it's amazing what can be done.  Oh well here's hoping.

box

Wed 20 Mar, 2019 8:16 pm

Exciting times. Any idea what the install, setup and tune is going to set you back?